Register to reply

Negative & Positive Shear Factor

by sorter
Tags: factor, negative, positive, shear
Share this thread:
sorter
Dec9-12, 01:45 PM
P: 45
My question relates to constructional geometry & matrices aren't to be involved in the solution because stated Math level is up to O Levels... The figure below shows shear with y=3 as invariant line & shear-factor of 3

My question is if you are provided the original polygon & asked to do shear with y=3 as invariant & shear-factor 3 or -3 how would I know whether to slide segment AD to right or left? Same confusion thus occurs with segment BC?

Moreover shear-factor is defined via (object-image dist)/(object-invariant dist) thus if the object polygon ABCD & its image say the red one is given & you are asked to completely define the transformation I can give the invariant line & the factor's magnitude but I can't tell the sign (+ or -) of the shear-factor because distances are always positive? Plz help this teacher
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages

Register to reply