Find λ for Non-Uniform Scale & Shear Transformation

In summary, the two invariant lines through the origin are: 1) The equation y=mx+c, where m is the slope of the line and c is the y-intercept.2) The equation u=\lambda-2.
Appleton

Homework Statement

Find the two numerical values of λ such that

[itex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}4&3\\1&2\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{cc}u\\1\end{array}\right)

[/itex]

Hence or otherwise find the equations of the two lines through the origin which are invariant under the transformation of the plane defined by

[itex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}x\prime\\y\prime\end{array}\right)
=

\left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\y\end{array}\right)
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe [itex]
[/itex] represents a non uniform scale and shear. If λ is a numerical value it can only scale uniformly which suggests there is no solution to the initial equation. However, my textbook tells me the 2 numerical values are 5 and 1.

I skipped this first part of the question and found the two invariant lines by setting [itex]y=mx+c [/itex] equal to [itex] y\prime=mx\prime+c[/itex]. If someone could help me understand the first part of the question I would be very appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi App,

Can you write out the two equations that follow from the first matrix multiplication ? Eliminating ##\lambda## first seems the easiest to me; then the two values for u give the book values for ##\lambda##.

Appleton said:

Homework Statement

Find the two numerical values of λ such that

[itex]

[/itex]

Hence or otherwise find the equations of the two lines through the origin which are invariant under the transformation of the plane defined by

[itex]
\left(\begin{array}{cc}x\prime\\y\prime\end{array}\right)
=

\left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\y\end{array}\right)
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe [itex]
[/itex] represents a non uniform scale and shear. If λ is a numerical value it can only scale uniformly which suggests there is no solution to the initial equation. However, my textbook tells me the 2 numerical values are 5 and 1.

I skipped this first part of the question and found the two invariant lines by setting [itex]y=mx+c [/itex] equal to [itex] y\prime=mx\prime+c[/itex]. If someone could help me understand the first part of the question I would be very appreciative.

The question is asking you to find the eigenvalues ##\lambda_1, \lambda_2## of the matrix
[tex] A =\pmatrix{4&3\\1&2} [/tex]
and to show that the eigenvectors of ##A## have the form
[tex] \pmatrix{u\\1} [/tex]
See, eg., http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/LA_Eigen.aspx .

The equation [itex]\begin{pmatrix}4 & 3 \\ 1 & 2 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} u \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}= \lambda\begin{pmatrix} u \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/itex] is the same as the two equations [itex]4u+ 3= \lambda u[/itex] and [itex]u+ 2= \lambda[/itex]. That second equation is the same as [itex]u= \lambda- 2[/itex]. Replace u in the first equation with [itex]\lambda- 2[/itex] to get an equation in [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. I guess I wasn't taking into account the fact that u is not constant.

I am still having difficulty understanding how the 2nd part of the question follows from the first. My book has not yet explicitly introduced me to eigenvectors, so I am presuming that the connection can be deduced from very rudimentary matrix principles.

Appleton said:
Thanks for the help. I guess I wasn't taking into account the fact that u is not constant.

I am still having difficulty understanding how the 2nd part of the question follows from the first. My book has not yet explicitly introduced me to eigenvectors, so I am presuming that the connection can be deduced from very rudimentary matrix principles.

In fact, u is a constant---it is just the case that you don't know its value yet. Ditto for ##\lambda##.

Basically, you just need to write down the two equations in ##u## that you get from rows 1 and 2 of your matrix; then you have two equations in the single unknown ##u##. (The equations have an undetermined parameter ##\lambda## in them.) In order for these two equations to be consistent, the value (or values) of ##\lambda## must be special, and figuring out these special values is the crux of your problem.

Appleton said:

Yes, it can, which should reinforce what an eigenvector is when it is formally defined.

I think I get it now. So the value of λ is superfluous for the second part of the question, it is only really u that we are concerned with at this stage, since u defines the vectors which, when multiplied by λ define the 2 invariant lines through the origin.

Thanks for all your help.

1. What is the purpose of finding λ in non-uniform scale and shear transformation?

The value of λ is used to determine the amount of scaling or shearing to be applied to an object in a non-uniform manner. It helps to achieve a specific transformation on an object, such as stretching or tilting it.

2. How do you calculate λ in non-uniform scale and shear transformation?

To calculate λ, you need to first determine the scale factors for each axis and the shear factors for each pair of axes. Then, use the formula λ = √(sx*sy - shx*shy), where sx and sy are the scale factors and shx and shy are the shear factors. This will give you the overall scaling and shearing factor for the transformation.

3. Can λ be negative in non-uniform scale and shear transformation?

Yes, λ can be negative in some cases. This happens when the shear factors are greater than the scale factors for a particular axis. In such cases, the object will be sheared in the opposite direction than the scale factor would suggest.

4. How does λ affect the transformation of an object in non-uniform scale and shear?

The value of λ directly affects the amount and direction of scaling and shearing applied to an object. A higher value of λ will result in a larger transformation, while a negative value of λ will cause the object to be inverted or flipped in some way.

5. Can λ be used for other types of transformations besides non-uniform scale and shear?

No, λ is specifically used for non-uniform scale and shear transformations. Other types of transformations, such as translation or rotation, have different methods for determining the amount of transformation to be applied.