Register to reply

Group action and equivalence relation

by Damidami
Tags: action, equivalence, relation
Share this thread:
Damidami
Dec16-12, 03:40 PM
P: 94
Given a group [itex]G[/itex] acting on a set [itex]X[/itex] we get an equivalence relation [itex]R[/itex] on [itex]X[/itex] by [itex]xRy[/itex] iff [itex]x[/itex] is in the orbit of [itex]y[/itex].

My question is, does some form of "reciprocal" always work in the following sense: given a set [itex]X[/itex] with an equivalence relation [itex]R[/itex] defined on it, does it always exist some group [itex]G[/itex] with some action over [itex]X[/itex] such that the set of its orbits coincide with the equivalence classes?

I have thoght it, and concluded that for finite sets and groups, the cardinal of [itex]G[/itex] has to be a múltiple of the cardinal of every orbit, but I can't see if it is always possible to construct such group with such an action.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Vargo
Dec17-12, 09:31 AM
P: 350
An equivalence relation is the same as a partition of the set into a disjoint union of subsets (the equivalence classes). Let G be the group of bijections from X to itself. Let H be the subset of G which leaves the equivalence classes invariant. Then H is a subgroup, and it acts in the way you want.
Damidami
Dec17-12, 01:42 PM
P: 94
Hi Vargo,
Thanks for your reply. I think I can see your point.
By the subset of G wich leaves the equivalence classes invariant, I think you mean the maximal one with that property (as the trivial susbset of G obviously leaves the classes invariant)
Anyway it's interesting that any equivalence relation can be thought as the result of a group action, so every time I see a quotient space of any kind I can think as the result of some group acting by "gluing" some elements together.

Register to reply