I don't undersrtand quantum mechanics and string theory

In summary, the conversation centers around the topic of quantum mechanics and string theory and the speaker expresses their skepticism towards these concepts. They also mention the importance of new ideas and knowledge in making new discoveries. The speaker presents four arguments, including the idea that something may or may not exist until observed in quantum mechanics, and asks for others to disprove them. The conversation ends with the moderator closing the thread due to the forum's policy against non-mainstream speculation.
Drake711
hello,
I find both quantum mechanics and string theory to be a bit iffy. Mabey it's just because I don't understand it but I think the best way to understand the iffy stuff is to post it on here. Mentors might see this as a debate or going against mainstream physics but how are you able to make new discoveries without thinking of new ideas? Mabey I'll make that my signature.

1) D-0 branes don't exist yet they have infinite mass and energy.

2) strings also are 1 dimensional which means they don't exist relative to a 3 dimensional observer yet they hold energy and mass as well.

3) These 1 dimensional strings yet a mathematical impossibility can stretch without breaking.

4) In quantum mechanics it states that something may or may not exist until you look at it but aren't we indirectly observing everything in our "light cone" for example standing on a tight rope the tight rope "may or may not exist behind us until we look at it" but it does exist because if it didn't then it wouldn't be quantum mechanics anymore it would just be classical mechanics, haha get it!

P.S. I won't be able to respond for a while because I'm going somewhere but hopefully in the mean time someone will be able to shed som light on these contradictions.

Physics news on Phys.org
New discoveries need new ideas, but they need even more knowledge in the field.
Random collections of physical concepts (dimensions, mass, strings, ...) in a new order are not new ideas, and do not help.

maybey I wasn't clear I'm not making new ideas in this thread, I'm simply asking why do scientists create these seemingly impossible ideas into theories. And I do have knowledge on the subject @mfb for example argument number 4, the double slit experiment supports this idea but there are other explanations than the act of observing makes things happen differently. One explanation is the way we measure a particle influences it to act differently and my tightrope example is plausible it follows the same princible as Schrodinger's cat.

All I'm asking people to do is to take my arguments and disprove them escpecially argument number 3.

I'm simply asking why do scientists create these seemingly impossible ideas into theories
There are no impossible ideas. Just ideas which can appear counterintuitive.

And I do have knowledge on the subject @mfb for example argument number 4
Ok, let's look at 4:
In quantum mechanics it states that something may or may not exist until you look at it[/quotee]
No. Some interpretations of QM state that a system does not have to be in a specific state until you look at it, but the system does not magically vanish.

but aren't we indirectly observing everything in our "light cone"
Not in a significant way.
for example standing on a tight rope the tight rope "may or may not exist behind us until we look at it"
What do you mean here? Classical examples for QM are usually very problematic.

All I'm asking people to do is to take my arguments and disprove them escpecially argument number 3.
I don't see any arguments to disprove. In particular, no arguments based on QM or string theory.

Thread closed for Moderation...

EDIT -- thread will remain closed. We do not allow this type of non-mainstream speculation here on the PF.

Drake711 said:
Mentors might see this as a debate or going against mainstream physics but how are you able to make new discoveries without thinking of new ideas?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between quantum mechanics and string theory?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, while string theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, into a single theory.

2. Why is it difficult to understand quantum mechanics and string theory?

These theories involve complex mathematical concepts and abstract ideas that are not easily intuitive to our everyday experiences. They also challenge our traditional understanding of the laws of physics, making them difficult to grasp.

3. Are quantum mechanics and string theory proven theories?

Quantum mechanics has been extensively tested and is considered a well-established theory, while string theory is still a work in progress and has yet to be experimentally verified. However, many physicists believe that string theory shows promising potential for explaining the universe.

4. Can quantum mechanics and string theory be understood without a strong background in physics?

While a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is helpful, these theories are complex and often require advanced knowledge in these subjects to fully comprehend. However, there are many resources available, such as books and online courses, that can help one understand these theories without a formal education in physics.

5. How do quantum mechanics and string theory relate to each other?

String theory is often seen as an extension of quantum mechanics, as it builds upon the principles and concepts of quantum mechanics to explain the fundamental nature of the universe. However, string theory also introduces new ideas and concepts that go beyond traditional quantum mechanics.