Register to reply

Mass of the moon?

by wasi-uz-zaman
Tags: mass, moon
Share this thread:
wasi-uz-zaman
Dec30-12, 06:53 AM
P: 40
hi, i can calculate the distance of moon from the earth and its diameter - but i could't get the formula by which i can calculate the mass of the moon - although i can calculate the mass of the moon by assuming it has same average density that of earth -
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Exoplanet measured with remarkable precision
New star catalog reveals unexpected 'solar salad'
RXTE satellite decodes the rhythm of an unusual black hole
mfb
Dec30-12, 08:11 AM
Mentor
P: 11,819
The orbital period of the moon depends on its distance and the sum of masses of earth and moon - if you can determine this sum with sufficient precision, you can subtract the mass of earth and get the mass of moon.
Satellites orbiting the moon are a better way to determine its mass - they give direct access to the gravitational acceleration at a specific distance, together with the gravitational constant this can be used to calculate its mass.
wasi-uz-zaman
Jan2-13, 11:37 AM
P: 40
but how do i calculate the sum of earth and moon mass?

mfb
Jan2-13, 11:59 AM
Mentor
P: 11,819
Mass of the moon?

Measure distance, orbital period and the gravitational constant.

##M+m=\frac{4\pi^2a^3}{GT^2}## with the semi-major axis a (for a circular orbit, this would be the distance)
BobG
Jan4-13, 07:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
I'm curious as to how you calculated the distance between the Moon and Earth. That distance might not be the semi-major axis of the Moon's orbit. It might be the sum of the Moon's semi-major axis and the Earth's semi-major axis, as measured from their combined center of mass. (The 'a' in the previous equation is actually the sum of the semi-major axes, or the distance you most likely calculated.)

In practice, calculating the mass and the semi-major axis of planets was an almost impossible task even after Newton turned Kepler's Third Law into a formula. You had a formula containing three unknown variables (the universal gravitational constant, the mass, and the semi-major axis) and the only known was the orbital period.

In fact, that's why the Earth's semi-major axis for it's orbit around the Sun was measured in astronomical units, with one AU being the distance between the Sun and the Earth. You could measure Jupiter's semi-major axis in AU's, but had no way to convert that into a more traditional measure such as kilometers.

Register to reply