Register to reply

Single slit diffraction

by GeneralOJB
Tags: diffraction, single, slit
Share this thread:
GeneralOJB
Jan3-13, 01:42 AM
P: 42
I'm confused about the single slit diffraction pattern. Why are light and dark patterns? Where is the constructive and destructive interference occuring if there is just one wave?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
What is Nothing?
How computing is transforming materials science research
Drakkith
Jan3-13, 01:56 AM
Mentor
P: 11,842
The wave interferes with itself. You can consider the wave to be composed of many smaller "wavelets" and these all add up to give the interference pattern. See the following article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_formalism
GeneralOJB
Jan3-13, 01:59 AM
P: 42
So when doing the double slit experiment, one will see two diffraction patterns on top of each other then?

vanhees71
Jan3-13, 03:08 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,440
Single slit diffraction

The most simple picture about diffraction comes from using the Fraunhofer case (both source and detection screen at infinity) and Kirchhoff's approximate formula. Then the diffraction pattern seen at the screen turns out to be given by the Fourier transform of the openings, i.e., the electric field is proportional to this Fourier transform.

The physical picture behind this is that any point of the opening is the source of a wave, and at the infinitely far away screen you can approximate the spherical wave by a plane wave (Fraunhofer diffraction).

You find the math in great detail at the Wikipedia link in GeneralOJB's posting.
Drakkith
Jan3-13, 03:20 AM
Mentor
P: 11,842
Quote Quote by vanhees71 View Post
You find the math in great detail at the Wikipedia link in GeneralOJB's posting.
I think he means my post.

Register to reply