Bochner-Weitzenbock formula (-> Laplacian)

In summary, the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula states that on a complete Riemannian manifold, the Laplacian of the norm squared of the gradient of a smooth function is equal to half the sum of the squared inner products of the covariant derivatives of the function's gradient with respect to a local orthonormal frame.
Sajet
Hi! I'm trying to understand a proof for the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula. I'm sorry I have to bother you with such a basic question but I've worked at this for more than an hour now, but I just don't get the very first step, i.e.:

[itex]-\frac{1}{2} \Delta |\nabla f|^2 = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i}X_iX_i \langle \nabla f, \nabla f \rangle[/itex]

Where we are in a complete Riemannian manifold, [itex]f \in C^\infty(M)[/itex] at a point [itex]p \in M[/itex], with a local orthonormal frame [itex]X_1, ..., X_n[/itex] such that [itex]\langle X_i, X_j \rangle = \delta_{ij}, D_{X_i}X_j(p) = 0[/itex], and of course

[itex]\langle \nabla f, X \rangle = X(f) = df(X)[/itex]
[itex]\textrm{Hess }f(X, Y) = \langle D_X(\nabla f), Y \rangle[/itex]
[itex]\Delta f = - \textrm{tr(Hess )}f[/itex]

I've tried to use the Levi-Civita identities, but I'm getting entangled in these formulas and don't get anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got it now :)

You may try to post a solution/sketch of solution for the one interested. That would be nice of you.

Sorry, i didn't notice the post. In case anyone ever finds this through google or the search function, here it is:

[itex]-\frac{1}{2} \Delta\|\nabla f\|^2 = \frac{1}{2}\text{tr}(\text{Hess}(\langle \nabla f, \nabla f \rangle ))[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^n \langle \nabla_{X_i} \text{grad}\langle \nabla f, \nabla f \rangle, X_i\rangle[/itex] (<- these are the diagonal entries of the representation matrix)
[itex]= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^n X_i \langle \text{grad}\langle \nabla f, \nabla f\rangle, X_i\rangle - \langle \text{grad}\langle \nabla f, \nabla f\rangle, \nabla_{X_i} X_i\rangle[/itex] (where the second summand is zero)
[itex]= \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^n X_i X_i \langle \nabla f, \nabla f\rangle[/itex]

Hello! The Bochner-Weitzenbock formula is a fundamental result in Riemannian geometry that relates the Laplacian operator to the curvature of a manifold. It is often used in differential geometry to study the behavior of functions on a manifold.

In this particular case, we are looking at the Laplacian of the function f at a point p, which is denoted by \Delta f. The Laplacian is defined as the trace of the Hessian matrix of f, which you have correctly stated in your question. The Hessian matrix is essentially a matrix of second derivatives of f, and the trace is the sum of the diagonal entries.

Now, the first step in the proof of the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula is to take the Laplacian of the square of the gradient of f, denoted by |\nabla f|^2. This is where the Levi-Civita identities come into play. By using these identities, we can rewrite the Laplacian of |\nabla f|^2 as a sum of terms involving the Riemann curvature tensor and the covariant derivatives of f.

Next, we use the fact that we are working on a complete Riemannian manifold with an orthonormal frame at the point p. This allows us to simplify some of the terms in the sum and ultimately arrive at the desired result, which is the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula.

I hope this helps clarify the first step in the proof. If you are still having trouble, I suggest consulting a textbook on Riemannian geometry or seeking help from a colleague who is familiar with this topic. Keep up the good work!

What is the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula?

The Bochner-Weitzenbock formula is a mathematical formula used in differential geometry and harmonic analysis. It relates the Laplacian operator to the curvature of a Riemannian manifold.

What is the Laplacian operator?

The Laplacian operator is a differential operator used in calculus and differential geometry. In simple terms, it is a measure of the curvature and variation of a function over a given space.

How is the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula used?

The Bochner-Weitzenbock formula is used to study the behavior of functions on Riemannian manifolds. It allows for the calculation of the Laplacian of a function based on the curvature of the underlying space, providing valuable information about the function's behavior.

What are some applications of the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula?

The Bochner-Weitzenbock formula has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of harmonic functions, to prove theorems in differential geometry, and to solve differential equations in various fields.

Are there any variations of the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula?

Yes, there are several variations of the Bochner-Weitzenbock formula that have been developed over time. These include the Hörmander-Lax-Milgram formula, the Lichnerowicz formula, and the Szegö formula, each with their own applications and uses in different areas of mathematics and physics.