Register to reply

Example of a non-Gaussian stochastic process?

by Jano L.
Tags: nongaussian, process, stochastic
Share this thread:
Jano L.
Jan2-13, 02:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,150
Consider stochastic process ##X(t)## with properties

$$
\langle X(t) \rangle = 0,
$$

$$
\langle X(t) X(t-\tau) \rangle = C_0e^{-|\tau|/\tau_c}.
$$

For example, the position of a Brownian particle in harmonic potential can be described by ##X##. In that case, the probability distribution will be Gaussian, i.e.

$$
\frac{dp}{dX} (X) = Ae^{-\frac{|X^2|}{2\sigma^2}}
$$

with some ##A, \sigma##.

Do you know some example of a stochastic process ##X## with the above two properties (average value and correlation function) which however does not have Gaussian probability distribution?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
chiro
Jan2-13, 06:47 PM
P: 4,572
Hey Jano L.

If the solution to this process implies a unique form for the Moment Generating Function then the answer to your question is no since a particular MGF implies a unique form of a distribution.
Jano L.
Jan3-13, 05:58 PM
PF Gold
Well, I do not know the MGF for that process. I think I cannot determine it just from those two properties.

I just know those two averages. I think there are different processes than Gaussian with the above properties, so I was wondering whether there is some good example...

chiro
Jan3-13, 07:22 PM
P: 4,572
Example of a non-Gaussian stochastic process?

If you can show some kind of uniqueness for MGF, characteristic function, or any other attribute that unique describes a distribution (or family of distributions) then you can show it is unique.

Can you relate p or its derivative to one of the above attributes?
Jano L.
Jan4-13, 09:31 AM
PF Gold
No, I do not think so. I think the properties I know (see OP) do not define the MGF or probability distribution completely. I was just wondering about some concrete example of such process, which would have those two properties from OP but be non-Gaussian.

Register to reply