Help with probability problem: Probability that one random Gaussian event will happen before another one

In summary, this conversation discusses the probability of atom A emitting a photon before atom B based on their respective probability distributions. Various approaches are considered, including integrating over the entire time interval and only up to a certain time. It is ultimately determined that the probability can be calculated by integrating over the diagonal half plane where t_A < t_B, with the assumption that the random variables t_A and t_B are independent. The result can be found using normal distribution tables.
Capitano
TL;DR Summary
Probability that one random gaussian event will happen before another one.
For concretness I'll use atoms and photons but this problem is actually just about probabilities.

There's an atom A whose probability to emit a photon between times t and t+dt is given by a gaussian distribution probability P_A centered around time T_A with variance V_A. There's a similar atom B described by a gaussian distribution P_B, but centered around T_B with variance V_B. Once they emit one photon, the process stops. What is the probability atom A will emit a photon before atom B? My attempt was something like this:

First, I ask a slightly different question. I start with the probability that A will emit a photon and B will not, between t and t+dt. That should be just

(P_A) x (1-P_B) x dt

since we require that A emits during that interval but not B. Now, my first idea now is to just integrate this expression from -infty to +infty, but I feel that's like demanding that in order for P_A to emit at some time, P_B needs to never emit during the whole time, which is not necessary. Another idea was to integrate up to a time t_f and then integrate over that time to infinity, but I'm not sure about that either

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the decays are independent of each other then you can write the joint probability distribution as $$P(t_A,t_B)= P_A(t_A)\ P_B(t_B)$$ So then to calculate the probability that ##t_A<t_B## we integrate over the diagonal half plane where ##t_A<t_B## as follows $$ \int_{-\infty}^{t_B}P(t_A,t_B)\ dt_A$$ or equivalently $$ \int_{t_A}^{\infty}P(t_A,t_B)\ dt_B$$

Thanks for your answer! I am a bit confused about the free parameter that remains on the integral. For example, on your first expression, the result depends on t_B in the end. Does that mean "the probability that event A will happen first in the time interval from -infty to t_B"? I'd like to find out what's the probability that A happens first, without any free parameters in the end, just considering all the time interval. Is that possible?

Thanks again!

I am a little confused by some things in your problem statement, but here is my two cents based on how I interpreted your question:
##t_A-t_B## is a Gausian random variable with a mean ##T_{t_A}-T_{t_B}## (I think that it is the times that are random variables with a mean and variance) and a variance ##V_{t_A} + V_{t_B} + 2 cov(t_A,t_B)##. I assume that the random variables, ##t_A## and ##t_B## are independent, so ##cov(t_A,t_B)=0##. You are asking for the probability that ##t_A-t_B \lt 0##. You should be able to use the normal distribution tables to look up the probabilities you need.

• Informative
Likes PeroK and Dale
Capitano said:
I'd like to find out what's the probability that A happens first, without any free parameters in the end, just considering all the time interval. Is that possible?
Oops, you are right. I forgot the second integral:

integrate over the diagonal half plane where ##t_A<t_B## as follows $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{t_B}P(t_A,t_B)\ dt_A \right) dt_B$$ or equivalently $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left(\int_{t_A}^{\infty}P(t_A,t_B)\ dt_B \right) dt_A$$

For two normally distributed random variables the result should be as @FactChecker describes

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd and PeroK

1. What is a Gaussian event?

A Gaussian event, also known as a normal event, is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used to model real-world phenomena. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is symmetric around its mean value.

2. How is probability calculated for a Gaussian event?

The probability of a Gaussian event is calculated using the formula P(x) = (1/σ√(2π)) * e^(-(x-μ)^2/(2σ^2)), where μ is the mean and σ is the standard deviation of the event. This formula represents the probability of a value falling within a certain range around the mean.

3. Can you explain the concept of one event happening before another in terms of probability?

In probability, the concept of one event happening before another refers to the likelihood that one event will occur before another event in a series of events. This can be visualized as a timeline, where the first event occurs before the second event. The probability of one event happening before another depends on the probability of each individual event and the order in which they occur.

4. How do you calculate the probability that one Gaussian event will happen before another?

The probability that one Gaussian event will happen before another can be calculated by finding the area under the curve of the first event up to the point where the second event occurs. This can be done using integration or by using a table of standard normal probabilities.

5. What factors can affect the probability of one Gaussian event happening before another?

The probability of one Gaussian event happening before another can be affected by the mean and standard deviation of each event, as well as the correlation between the two events. Other factors such as sample size and the shape of the distributions can also impact the probability.