Register to reply

American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as gifted

by tahayassen
Tags: american, college, gifted, increasingly, students
Share this thread:
tahayassen
Jan4-13, 03:31 PM
P: 273
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20756247

Well, I'm an undergraduate freshman and I would say I'm above average (relative to all 18 year olds in Canada). I would also say I'm above average (relative to my peers in my classes at uni because I've revamped my work habits recently). About a year ago, I would say that I was below average (relative to the smart students in my university classes in high school). I think it's just a coincidence that there's a correlation between confidence and how well you do in school. I think decrease in academic ability has to do with the number of distractions readily available these days - we're in a post-productivity age.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
jtbell
Jan4-13, 03:49 PM
Mentor
P: 11,749
Down here in the States we call this the "Lake Wobegon effect."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wobegon
zoobyshoe
Jan4-13, 04:56 PM
P: 5,630
The article is confusing.

"What's really become prevalent over the last two decades is the idea that being highly self-confident - loving yourself, believing in yourself - is the key to success.

"Now the interesting thing about that belief is it's widely held, it's very deeply held, and it's also untrue."
Then later:

He found that although high self-esteem frequently had a positive correlation with success, the direction of causation was often unclear. For example, are high marks awarded to people with high self-esteem or does getting high marks engender high self-esteem?
I'm not sure what point is being made at all.

Jimmy Snyder
Jan4-13, 05:02 PM
P: 2,179
American college students are increasingly likely to describe themselves as gifted

Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
That's strange, because William Kremer told me he was better than most journalists.
WannabeNewton
Jan4-13, 05:05 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,599
The great George Carlin did a brilliant bit on the absurdity of the so called self - esteem movement that zooby quoted from the article. I can't link it here as it contains many obscenities but you can easily find it on youtube if you're interested.
tahayassen
Jan4-13, 08:28 PM
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
The great George Carlin did a brilliant bit on the absurdity of the so called self - esteem movement that zooby quoted from the article. I can't link it here as it contains many obscenities but you can easily find it on youtube if you're interested.
According to Wikipedia, he's a comedian.
WannabeNewton
Jan4-13, 08:34 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
Quote Quote by tahayassen View Post
According to Wikipedia, he's a comedian.
Yeah so?
tahayassen
Jan4-13, 08:44 PM
Yeah so?
I started this thread with the intention of a semi-serious discussion. Typically, comedians stretch the truth or exaggerate something for comedic purposes. I watched it by the way, pretty funny.
WannabeNewton
Jan4-13, 09:04 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
I started this thread with the intention of a semi-serious discussion. Typically, comedians stretch the truth or exaggerate something for comedic purposes. I watched it by the way, pretty funny.
Carlin isn't a typical comedian IMO; he is almost always right on the money. I agree with his views on this in particular because I find that boosting self - esteem and confidence is all surface level and it is a meaningless tactic that doesn't prove anything about ability in the long run.
tahayassen
Jan4-13, 09:16 PM
Carlin isn't a typical comedian IMO; he is almost always right on the money. I agree with his views on this in particular because I find that boosting self - esteem and confidence is all surface level and it is a meaningless tactic that doesn't prove anything about ability in the long run.
Would you say that the movement would hurt academic performance?

Then later:

I'm not sure what point is being made at all.
Yeah, I'm not sure why that second quote was in the article there.
StevieTNZ
Jan4-13, 09:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 801
Carlin isn't a typical comedian IMO; he is almost always right on the money.
Much like Bill Maher. ;)
Evo
Jan4-13, 09:19 PM
Mentor
P: 26,528
Yeah, Carlin says it as it is.
WannabeNewton
Jan4-13, 09:21 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
Would you say that the movement would hurt academic performance?
Well if a person gets too confident in him/herself there is always the threat of being kicked in the face by reality and the owing up the fact that simply boosting one's self confidence or esteem will not guarantee a good grade on an exam. If the over - confidence is supplemented with hard work then I'm sure that problem won't be there but over confident people don't in general doubt their "superior" abilities enough to study substantially.
zoobyshoe
Jan4-13, 09:45 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Yeah, Carlin says it as it is.
Not any more.
lisab
Jan4-13, 09:49 PM
Mentor
P: 2,985
Not any more.
Mentalist
Jan4-13, 10:01 PM
P: 32
Imagination is often bigger than the reality of the person dreaming of it. Don't let it consume you to the point you are walking around so delusional that you think everything you touch is gold, and everything you say is the objective truth.
zoobyshoe
Jan4-13, 10:12 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
What can I say? She used the present tense!
WannabeNewton
Jan4-13, 10:13 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
What can I say? She used the present tense!
George Carlin will always be alive!

Register to reply