Using Mathematica to plot and fit data

by Levi Tate
Tags: data, mathematica, plot
Share this thread:
Levi Tate
Jan8-13, 03:24 PM
P: 122
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello. My problem is that I need to learn how to use computer software this semester. My teacher said, go and figure out how to use any computer software you like to make graphs. I have Mathematica but I am not proficient in using it, could somebody please help me with graphing the attached function.

3. The attempt at a solution

There are some questions to answer with respect to the graphs, but I simply need to know how to use the software, that is my goal here, I am really struggling to figure this out so any help would be greatly appreciated. If anybody has a mathematica notebook they could email me with the proper syntax that would be helpful. Thanks again

For 1. I need to know how to take the function γ(β)=1/[(1-(β^2/c^2))]

And compute it for values that I choose, ten of them from [0,0.999] and then have the function compute those values and graph γ(β) at that point.

There are two other similar things on different intervals, but if I knew how to do the first then I could do the other two.

2. I have to plot log(γ) vs. β over the entire range of β

3. I have to plot 1/γ^2 vs. β and then fit this curve to the functional form of y(β)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Computer_lab_1.pdf (89.5 KB, 4 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Levi Tate
Jan8-13, 05:37 PM
Or if anybody can point me to relevant videos on the topic that would be very helpful to me. I am willing to put as much work as I need to into this, this is not a matter of laziness, it is just a matter of not being able to find the right information to be able to properly learn how to do this.
TSny
Jan8-13, 08:04 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 4,761
You might find these videos helpful.

Doing a web search on "plotting with mathematica" or similar searches should help you find some useful tutorials.

Levi Tate
Jan8-13, 08:06 PM
Using Mathematica to plot and fit data

Yeah, i've been looking all day, I cannot figure out how to take the function and generate values of the function in a table format.

People are telling me to use excel but I don't want to waste having this really powerful software, even if I don't know how to use it.

Register to reply