Using Mathematica to plot and fit data

by Levi Tate
Tags: data, mathematica, plot
Share this thread:
Levi Tate
Jan8-13, 03:24 PM
P: 122
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello. My problem is that I need to learn how to use computer software this semester. My teacher said, go and figure out how to use any computer software you like to make graphs. I have Mathematica but I am not proficient in using it, could somebody please help me with graphing the attached function.

3. The attempt at a solution

There are some questions to answer with respect to the graphs, but I simply need to know how to use the software, that is my goal here, I am really struggling to figure this out so any help would be greatly appreciated. If anybody has a mathematica notebook they could email me with the proper syntax that would be helpful. Thanks again

For 1. I need to know how to take the function γ(β)=1/[(1-(β^2/c^2))]

And compute it for values that I choose, ten of them from [0,0.999] and then have the function compute those values and graph γ(β) at that point.

There are two other similar things on different intervals, but if I knew how to do the first then I could do the other two.

2. I have to plot log(γ) vs. β over the entire range of β

3. I have to plot 1/γ^2 vs. β and then fit this curve to the functional form of y(β)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Computer_lab_1.pdf (89.5 KB, 4 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Levi Tate
Jan8-13, 05:37 PM
Or if anybody can point me to relevant videos on the topic that would be very helpful to me. I am willing to put as much work as I need to into this, this is not a matter of laziness, it is just a matter of not being able to find the right information to be able to properly learn how to do this.
TSny
Jan8-13, 08:04 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 4,842
You might find these videos helpful.

Doing a web search on "plotting with mathematica" or similar searches should help you find some useful tutorials.

Levi Tate
Jan8-13, 08:06 PM
Using Mathematica to plot and fit data

Yeah, i've been looking all day, I cannot figure out how to take the function and generate values of the function in a table format.

People are telling me to use excel but I don't want to waste having this really powerful software, even if I don't know how to use it.

Register to reply