Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases

So, you can see that ##|\lambda_1⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|α⟩ - \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}|β⟩##, and you can find ##|\lambda_2⟩## similarly. Then, you can find the matrix representation of the operator ##|A⟩⟨A|##, and you can find the matrix representation of the operator ##|H⟩⟨H|##. Then, you can find the matrix representation of the projection operator ##|A⟩⟨A|##, and you can find the matrix representation of the projection operator ##|H⟩⟨H|##. Then, you can find the matrix
leo_africanus

Homework Statement

[/B]
(Working through a problem from a practice set for which I have a solution available, but still don't understand. I get the same answer as they do for part a, but get lost in part b, I think. Relevant portions below)

Consider a two-state quantum system. In the orthonormal and complete set of basis vectors ##\langle 1 |## and ##\langle 2 |##, the Hamiltonian operator for the system is represented by (ω > 0):
$$H = 10 \hbar \omega |1⟩⟨1| - 3 \hbar \omega |1⟩⟨2| - 3 \hbar \omega |2⟩⟨1| + 2 \hbar \omega |2⟩⟨2|$$
Consider another complete and orthonormal basis |α⟩, |β⟩, such that ##H|α⟩ = E_1|α⟩##, and ##H|β⟩ = E_2|β⟩## (with ##E_1 < E_2##). Let the action of operator A on the |α⟩, |β⟩ basis vectors be given as:
$$ A|α⟩ = 2ia_0|β⟩ $$
$$ A|β⟩ = -2ia_0|α⟩ - 3a_0|β⟩$$
where ##a_0 > 0## is real.

a) Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of H in the |1⟩, |2⟩ basis.

b) Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A in the |α⟩, |β⟩ basis.

c) Suppose a measurement of A is carried out at t=0 on an arbitrary state and the largest possible value is obtained. Calculate the probability P(t) that another measurement made at time t will yield the value as the one measured at t=0.

Homework Equations

Eigenvalue equation: ##|X-\lambda I | = 0##

Orthonormality: ##⟨x|y⟩=\delta(x-y)##

Probability: ##P(t) = |⟨\psi_0|\psi(t)⟩|^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My disagreement with the available solution comes when writing the prepared state for part c in terms of the eigenvectors for the energy.

a) From the equation for H we can write out the matrix for H in the |1⟩, |2⟩ basis as:
$$ H = \begin{bmatrix}
10ℏω & -3ℏω\\
3ℏω & 2ℏω
\end{bmatrix} $$

Then ##|H-\lambda I | = 0## gives eigenvalues of ##\lambda_1 = ℏω = E_1## and ##\lambda_2 = 11ℏω = E_2##,
with corresponding normalized eigenvectors:
$$|\lambda_1⟩ = |α⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{10}} \begin{bmatrix} 1\\3 \end{bmatrix}$$
$$|\lambda_2⟩ = |β⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{10}} \begin{bmatrix} 3\\-1 \end{bmatrix}$$

b) To get the matrix for A in the |α⟩, |β⟩ basis I use the given action of A on the basis vectors and their orthogonality:

$$ A = \begin{bmatrix} ⟨α|A|α⟩ & ⟨α|A|β⟩\\ ⟨β|A|α⟩ & ⟨β|A|β⟩ \end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix} 2ia_0⟨α|β⟩ & -2ia_0⟨α|α⟩-3a_0⟨α|β⟩\\ 2ia_0⟨β|β⟩ & -2ia_0⟨β|α⟩-3a_0⟨β|β⟩ \end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix} 0 & -2ia_0\\ 2ia_0 & -3a_0 \end{bmatrix}$$

Then ##|A-\lambda I | = 0## gives eigenvalues of ##\lambda_1 = a_0## and ##\lambda_2 = -4a_0 ##,
$$|\lambda_1⟩ = \frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}} \begin{bmatrix} 2\\i \end{bmatrix}$$
$$|\lambda_2⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \begin{bmatrix} i\\2 \end{bmatrix}$$

c) The largest possible value of A that could be measured is ##a_0##, which prepares the system in state ##|\psi_0⟩ = |a_0⟩##

To get the time dependence for the wave function, I need to express |a_0⟩ in terms of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian. The way I thought this would be done is simply by writing |a_0⟩ as a linear combination of |α⟩, |β⟩ basis vectors as follows (using the vectors found in part a):
$$x|α⟩ + y|β⟩ = |a_0⟩$$
Giving a system of two linear equations,
$$\frac{x}{\sqrt{10}} + \frac{3y}{\sqrt{10}} = \frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}} $$
$$\frac{3x}{\sqrt{10}} - \frac{y}{\sqrt{10}} = \frac{-i}{\sqrt{3}} $$

Solving for x and y gives me: ##x=-\frac{3i+2}{\sqrt{30}}## and ##y=\frac{i-6}{\sqrt{30}}## for:
$$|a_0⟩ = -\frac{3i+2}{\sqrt{30}}|α⟩ + \frac{i-6}{\sqrt{30}}|β⟩$$

The solution for the problem that I have is consistent until this point, where it gives (without showing any work):
$$|a_0⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|α⟩ - \frac{2i}{\sqrt{5}}|β⟩$$

Any help with where I've gone wrong here would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
leo_africanus said:
Then ##|A-\lambda I | = 0## gives eigenvalues of ##\lambda_1 = a_0## and ##\lambda_2 = -4a_0 ##,
$$|\lambda_1⟩ = \frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}} \begin{bmatrix} 2\\i \end{bmatrix}$$
$$|\lambda_2⟩ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \begin{bmatrix} i\\2 \end{bmatrix}$$
Your vectors are not normalized. The ##\sqrt 3## is not correct.

Note that what you are getting here is ##|\lambda_1⟩## and ##|\lambda_2⟩## expressed in the energy-eigenstate basis ##\{ |α⟩, |β⟩ \}##. So, you immediately have the expansion of ##|\lambda_1⟩##, say, in terms of ##|α⟩## and ##|β⟩## without further work.

Their answer ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|α⟩ - \frac{2i}{\sqrt{5}}|β⟩## appears to correspond to the eigenstate of ##A## with eigenvalue ##-4a_0## rather than corresponding to the state with eigenvalue ##a_0##.

TSny said:
Your vectors are not normalized. The ##\sqrt 3## is not correct.

Note that what you are getting here is ##|\lambda_1⟩## and ##|\lambda_2⟩## expressed in the energy-eigenstate basis ##\{ |α⟩, |β⟩ \}##. So, you immediately have the expansion of ##|\lambda_1⟩##, say, in terms of ##|α⟩## and ##|β⟩## without further work.

Their answer ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|α⟩ - \frac{2i}{\sqrt{5}}|β⟩## appears to correspond to the eigenstate of ##A## with eigenvalue ##-4a_0## rather than corresponding to the state with eigenvalue ##a_0##.

Got it, thanks so much for the clarification!

Normalization should be (where ##λ_{1,i}## is the ##i^{th}## component of ##|\lambda_1⟩ ##):
$$ || λ_1 || = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^N λ_{1,i} λ_{1,i}^*} = \sqrt{5}$$ (and likewise for ##|\lambda_2⟩##)

Thanks again!

OK. Good work!

1. What is the "Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases"?

The "Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases" is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that involves the study of two-state systems, where a quantum system can exist in two distinct states at the same time. These states can be represented by different bases, such as the spin-up and spin-down states of an electron or the horizontal and vertical polarization states of a photon.

2. How is the "Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases" relevant in quantum computing?

The "Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases" is essential in quantum computing as it forms the basis of qubits, the basic unit of information in quantum computers. Qubits can exist in a superposition of two states, allowing for more information to be stored and processed simultaneously, making quantum computers more powerful than classical computers.

3. What is the difference between a "basis" and a "state" in the "Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases"?

In the "Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases," a basis refers to a set of two states that form a complete description of a quantum system. A state, on the other hand, represents the specific condition of the system at a given time, which can be described as a linear combination of the basis states.

4. How does the measurement of a quantum system in one basis affect its state in another basis?

When a quantum system is measured in one basis, it collapses into one of the basis states, and its state in other bases becomes uncertain. This phenomenon is known as wavefunction collapse and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the "Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases" be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, the "Quantum - Two State Problem in different bases" has many applications in real-world systems, such as quantum cryptography, quantum communication, and quantum sensing. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies based on quantum mechanics, such as quantum computing and quantum information processing.