How hard it is to achieve 3.7+ GPA?

by Synchronised
Tags: achieve
Synchronised
Jan9-13, 09:23 AM
P: 47
Hi,
I am contemplating doing this dergee http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/4...;overview.html which is a 3+1 year research-focused science degree. In order to be accepted for honors and postgrad after that I have to maintain a very high GPA. I have never been to university so all I know is that GPA stands for Grade Point Average so I don't know how difficult it is to get 3.7+ GPA
What kind of jobs can I get with a PhD in science (I am thinking about doing majors in physics and maths or physics and nanotech if available) other than uni lecturer?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
123PleasentSt
Jan9-13, 10:05 AM
P: 33
I currently hold a 3.7, with 49 credits completed.
How hard it is in dependent on several factors. First, you have to find an interest in all of your classes. If you're more interested in something, you'll spend more time working on it. Second, you have to aim for an A for every single class. Third, any outside factors will make it harder to achieve the A goal. It's fine if you go to work, but if you work nearly or more than full time, it's tough. Fourth, it will be much easier if you aim for the highest grades in the first semester than it would be in your 5th. Take the oppurtunity that you haven't even started yet wisely, and if you do it right, you can be in that honors program in just next semester (I hope they don't have a credit minimum requirement). Last tip and not least, have good study habits. Just those tips will make getting a 3.7 manageable. Good luck!
ModusPwnd
Jan9-13, 10:40 AM
P: 865
It depends on the school. Grade inflation is rampant, but in the end its just up to the whims of professors. In my graduating class for a Physics BS nearly everybody got over 3.5 with honors.

FalconOne
Jan9-13, 11:05 AM
P: 38

How hard it is to achieve 3.7+ GPA?

I that GPA in my undergrad. We had relatively small class sizes (about 12) and my professor did not curve very much. (I was the only one with an A in quite a few of my classes, including lab, optics, and quantum.) My professor expected a lot out of his students, and many students simply didn't give what he wanted out. The average "good" graduate has around a 3.0 and gets into good graduate schools despite the lower GPA - my professor provides good letters of recommendation explaining his grading process and gives details about the "average" student in comparison to the person he recommends.

I didn't find it too entirely hard to maintain that GPA. I did find it hard, however, to be able to convince my friends and boyfriend that I didn't "hate" them and that I was studying. It all depends on your priorities and how much time and effort YOU want to put into your classes. I gave myself about two hours of free time a day, three if you include working out. I took EVERY assignment seriously - and it didn't matter if it was my horrible Chinese history class or my favorite E&M course. Not taking their generals seriously is where people end up in a trap.
jtbell
Jan9-13, 11:07 AM
Mentor
P: 11,255
Quote Quote by ModusPwnd View Post
Grade inflation is rampant
More so in some parts of the world than in others.
Synchronised
Jan9-13, 11:17 AM
Thank you for the replies everyone. I will try my best to get a 4.0 GPA and I will make sure I do extra-curriculars so I hopefully get accepted into MIT or any good overseas university to do masters and PhD. If not, ANU is still pretty good.
Can someone please explain to me why some universities in Australia use 7.0 GPA?
FalconOne
Jan9-13, 11:55 AM
P: 38
I think your research matters more than the name of your school. So don't write yourself off if you don't get into one of the top schools.
Synchronised
Jan9-13, 12:16 PM
I completely agree Falcon, but if I get a scholarship I will definitely go because I always wanted to live in the USA. There is too much desert in Australia lol
Since I don't really know whether to do medicine, engineering or science I know for sure that I want to do research in which ever field I end up doing so I think the PhB degree prepares me very well for research and I can always do post grad medicine if I decide that I want to do medicine.
I read on other threads that it is possible to do undergrad science and then masters in Engineering or PhD in Engineering so how does that work? Is it the same as doing undergrad engineering and then doing masters/PhD in Engineering?
123PleasentSt
Jan9-13, 01:07 PM
Hey. I've been in three completely different colleges so far. First it was a small community college, then it was the #1 party school in the USA, and now I'm at University of Michigan. To be brutally honest, I was more interested in the teachers at the small college than I did at the party university - I wanted to leave. I decided that if Michigan wouldn't accept me in to the next semester, I would still leave for my small community college. Then when I got here, the people here at Michigan think that they're just "blue and maize" and nothing compared to Harvard, when the people at the huge party university told me they'd do anything to get in Michigan when I explained I was transferring.
Bottom line, be happy wherever you end up. FalconOne's advice is just as good.
Synchronised
Jan9-13, 02:03 PM
I read more about this degree and looks like I will also have to maintain a mark of 80% in all exams not only 3.7+ GPA (If I fail to do this I have to drop to normal science degree). If I complete the bachelor successfully (which is 3 years) I can choose to either do honors (1 year) or post grad medicine (4 years) so I am very interested in doing this degree and will most likely be my first preference.
Will major in physics for sure and do a minor in chemistry or physiology or medical science or neuroscience to keep my options open.
I have a question: what does it take to be successful in scientific research? High school was all rote-learning (the courses are structured that way) so what can I do to prepare myself for this research-focused degree?
123PleasentSt
Jan9-13, 02:19 PM
Critical thinking is necessary for preparation.
d3nat
Jan9-13, 03:49 PM
P: 103
Maintaining a high GPA isn't hard if you're dedicated to it.

The best advice I could give would be to kill your classes in your early semesters. I did poorly freshman year, and that has kept my GPA much lower than it would have been if only my sophomore onwards classes counted.

So start off strong and finish strong.
And be somewhat dedicated to having much less of a social or work life than you might at some points want.
lasymphonie
Jan9-13, 07:34 PM
P: 86
Synchronised, as you said, you will need to keep up a high distinction average to graduate - this means you'll end up with something close to a 4.0, but if you get a 90 in one semester, you can probably get a 70 in the next, and so on. Australian universities grade differently to American ones, and from what I've heard, it's much easier to get an 80 than it is to get an A in the US.
Synchronised
Jan10-13, 03:25 AM
Quote Quote by lasymphonie View Post
Synchronised, as you said, you will need to keep up a high distinction average to graduate - this means you'll end up with something close to a 4.0, but if you get a 90 in one semester, you can probably get a 70 in the next, and so on. Australian universities grade differently to American ones, and from what I've heard, it's much easier to get an 80 than it is to get an A in the US.
OK, thank you.
Considering that I am going to live at university all I will be doing is studying so hopefully I can maintain 80%+ because if I fail to do that I will have to drop from PhB to normal science or Engineering :(
123PleasentSt
Jan10-13, 01:55 PM
Yeah dont let studyIng be the absolutely only thing that you'll be doIng at the university though. I did that and negative stuff came out. My bf thought I was cheating on him than "studying", hardly went outsIde, Isolated myself from frIends and then I burned myself out. BurnIng yourself Is the worst thIng you can do to your mInd because you won't study very well anymore, the wIllpower Is all gone, and your grades drop.ThIs goes on for several weeks and you cant do anythIng about it because your mInd Is just that frIed. Finding a happy balance is key. We're now happier, I actually do outside activities now and I study regularly everyday.
Hercuflea
Jan13-13, 12:42 AM
P: 320
3.8, ~150 credits

It's all about time-management. I have several friends who are borderline failing or that quite often receive B's and C's, but I would say that they are probably more intelligent than me. I just am more motivated and more capable of managing my time (also no job/girlfriend). Sometimes you will get a really horrible professor who may screw up your perfect 4.0, and sometimes you will run into a subject that just stumps you. This happened to me in Complex Analysis. I was the perfect student; I went to all the office hours, I studied for every test, I attended every class and took notes, but I just simply didn't get it. I ended up barely getting a B after a massive curve. So sometimes crap happens, but just keep pushing on and don't lose hope. Perseverance is key.
Synchronised
Jan13-13, 01:58 AM
Quote Quote by Hercuflea View Post
3.8, ~150 credits

It's all about time-management. I have several friends who are borderline failing or that quite often receive B's and C's, but I would say that they are probably more intelligent than me. I just am more motivated and more capable of managing my time (also no job/girlfriend). Sometimes you will get a really horrible professor who may screw up your perfect 4.0, and sometimes you will run into a subject that just stumps you. This happened to me in Complex Analysis. I was the perfect student; I went to all the office hours, I studied for every test, I attended every class and took notes, but I just simply didn't get it. I ended up barely getting a B after a massive curve. So sometimes crap happens, but just keep pushing on and don't lose hope. Perseverance is key.
Complex Analysis is compulsory in PhB :$ I like it in high school though, we prove some pretty cool results in it.
Thank you for the advice! How do you exactly use time more efficiently?
SophusLies
Jan14-13, 09:55 AM
P: 222
If you don't challenge yourself with difficult professors/classes you can easily get a 3.7+ but if you want a strong undergrad degree then you're going to have to push yourself. There are some freaks out there that can take ridiculously hard classes and still have 4.0's but it's very rare. I was not one of them though but I did challenge myself. I ended up with 6 grad classes, a double major in math and physics and some CS classes in 4 years all while coming into my undergrad without any AP credit. Because of my second year performance I was able to skip some intermediate classes and jump straight into senior level classes with professor recommendations for my 3rd year classes. That's when my GPA started to fall some but I kept up and got all B's in some very difficult graduate classes. I started from ground zero and built up a strong degree for grad school. I also got research experience starting in my 2nd year and that lasted for the rest of my undergrad. Even with a 3.4, I got into all but one of many top grad schools I applied for in both math and physics programs.

I really wouldn't worry about your GPA that much but focus on creating a strong undergrad degree and making sure you're are challenging yourself to the max. Getting into hard classes with known professors can get you some very nice recommendations even if you get a B, trust me I know.

Register to reply