Including self-projects in resume?

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resume
In summary, if you have done any small or big electronics projects yourself or with your friends, you should mention them in your application for a research assistantship. However, if your projects are not part of an academic course, you will have to provide documentation to prove their validity. You could also consider setting up a blog to document your future projects.
I_am_learning
I am going to apply for masters program for electrical engineering in some US university and I wish to be considered for research assistantship. I have done several small and big electronics projects myself or with my friends. (making a chess playing robot, making your home lights controlled by TV remote, demonstration of active magnetic suspension etc). However, they weren't part of our academic course and I don't have any certificate of doing those projects. Moreover I don't even have documentation for most of them. Should I mention about such projects or would such projects be considered hobbyists type and not worthy for an EE student? If I were to put them in, how would I prove their validity? Even more difficult would be to prove that I did them on my own and not copied some internet projects.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also have a fair amount of self-projects, mostly simulations and modeling projects, I wouldn't list them on a resume but rather show them in interviews. I would always take a couple of flash drives and then ask to show the interviewer (usually the technical interviewer not the "HR" one) some of the projects I did. In every case they let me show these off and in almost every case they were very impressed. Your case is different because your projects are more tangible than mine but maybe you can put them into a quick slide show. Showing off projects in an interview is a great way to break the ice also, the first possible question that gave me a chance to break out the flash drive I did and almost immediately the interviews would turn into a show and tell rather than a Q&A.

You could also consider setting up a blog to document/show future projects. Then, when applying for a position you can direct the reader to the blog in your cover letter.

This approach could also be useful in terms of networking.

What are self-projects?

Self-projects are personal projects that you have undertaken on your own time, outside of your regular job or academic responsibilities.

Why should I include self-projects in my resume?

Including self-projects in your resume can showcase your passion and drive for your field of study or industry. It also demonstrates your ability to take initiative and work independently.

How should I format self-projects on my resume?

You can include self-projects under a separate section on your resume, titled "Personal Projects" or "Side Projects". List the project title, a brief description, and any relevant skills or technologies used.

Should I include all my self-projects on my resume?

No, it is not necessary to include every single self-project on your resume. Choose projects that are relevant to the job or industry you are applying for and highlight the skills or experiences that are most valuable.

Can self-projects compensate for lack of professional experience?

While self-projects can be a valuable addition to your resume, they should not be used to compensate for a lack of professional experience. It is important to also showcase any relevant internships, volunteer work, or other experiences you have gained in your field.