Register to reply

General equation for the speed of sound?

by fhqwgads2005
Tags: equation, general, sound, speed, state
Share this thread:
fhqwgads2005
Feb5-12, 02:13 PM
P: 23
I've seen stated in many a physics book that the general case for the speed of sound (for general equations of state p(ρ) ) is given by

[tex] c^2 = \frac{\partial p}{\partial \rho} [/tex]

where p is pressure and ρ is density.

but I can't for the life of me figure out how on earth to derive that. I've seen tons of derivations for specific cases--gasses, solids, but not for the general case. According to wikipedia, it can be derived using classical mechanics. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
IsaacOh
Feb22-12, 10:50 AM
P: 8
c = [itex]\sqrt{P/\rho}[/itex]

Where P = coefficient of "stiffness"
and [itex]\rho[/itex] = density
IsaacOh
Feb22-12, 10:51 AM
P: 8
oops sorry. Didn't understand your initial question. I just jumped to conclusions.

Sunfire
Jan14-13, 10:39 AM
P: 215
General equation for the speed of sound?

the equation of state is p=p(ρ,s) thus

dp = ([itex]\frac{∂p}{∂\rho}[/itex][itex])_{s}[/itex]d[itex]\rho[/itex] + ([itex]\frac{∂p}{∂s}[/itex])[itex]_{\rho}[/itex] ds

I am guessing that because ([itex]\frac{∂p}{∂\rho}[/itex][itex])_{s}[/itex] has units of "velocity squared", it is looked upon as such;
But why this velocity is the sonic one - beats me...

Anyone?
Sunfire
Jan14-13, 12:39 PM
P: 215
This gives probably enough of an explanation

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/snddrv.html

Register to reply