Speed of sound: viscosity dependece in liquids and solids

In summary, there is no direct formula that relates the viscosity of liquids and solids to the speed of sound.
phixmin
Hello,

Wikipedia gave me prior hints as to how the speed of sound depends on viscosity but after searching on Google scholar and Google, I have yet to find any direct equations/findings that give a direct relationship of the speed of sound to the visocisty of fluids and solids outside of: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0370-1301/66/5/303/pdf

My question: does anyone know how the speed of sound depends on the viscosity of liquids and solids? Are there any known formulas?

Physics news on Phys.org
phixmin said:
Wikipedia gave me prior hints as to how the speed of sound depends on viscosity...
What article? From what I see, no form of the word "viscosity" appears in the wiki article on the speed of sound:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

russ_watters said:
What article? From what I see, no form of the word "viscosity" appears in the wiki article on the speed of sound:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound
I didn't state that it was from the speed of sound wiki.

mk9898 said:
Yep I already saw this post but it is only for liquids not for solids.

Huh? Viscosity is a term we use only for fluids, not solids.

• Sad
Likes Questionable Thought and Lord Jestocost
mk9898 said:
I didn't state that it was from the speed of sound wiki.
No, you didn't. So why don't you help us stop guessing and provide your source!

Further, the fact that it isn't in a relevant article should tell you something.

That linked PF thread is full of some extreme nonsense. Sound speed is not generally considered to have a direct relationship with viscosity.

Hm then what does the speed of sound depend on when the sound moves with longitudinal waves through solids?

Most commonly the bulk modulus (Young's modulus, for a solid) and density. Viscosity isn't even a quantity that makes sense for a solid.

• Skeptical
Likes Questionable Thought
mk9898 said:
Hm then what does the speed of sound depend on when the sound moves with longitudinal waves through solids?
This is fully covered in the wiki I linked: elasticity(several ways to describe: "bulk modulus" or "young's modulus" for solids) and density.

Your posts in this thread are very odd. It seems like you want a certain answer and are ignoring answers you don't like and questions we ask you that would better help us understand your issue. Please put more effort into helping us help you.

You are all totally right with the viscosity...don't know what I was thinking there. Just a mistake Russ ;).

So for liquids boneh3ad, since the other post has things that are nonsense in it, would you or anyone know if there is a direct formula with the viscosity being a part of determining the speed of sound? The comment by Lord J with the paper helps but I'm surprised that the only two papers that I now know of are 50-60 years old.

For solids, is there also a general formula for the speed of sound through solids?

mk9898 said:
You are all totally right with the viscosity...don't know what I was thinking there. Just a mistake Russ ;).

So for liquids boneh3ad, since the other post has things that are nonsense in it, would you or anyone know if there is a direct formula with the viscosity being a part of determining the speed of sound? The comment by Lord J with the paper helps but I'm surprised that the only two papers that I now know of are 50-60 years old.

For solids, is there also a general formula for the speed of sound through solids?
The answer remains: no, viscosity is not a generally accepted factor in the speed of sound in liquids. And the linked wikipedia article still contains all the answers to your questions.

I'm going to lock the thread now since the questions have been fully answered and I don't want it to continue going around in circles. Thanks everyone.

Likes anorlunda and davenn

1. How does viscosity affect the speed of sound in liquids and solids?

Viscosity, or the resistance to flow, affects the speed of sound in liquids and solids by slowing down the propagation of sound waves. The higher the viscosity, the slower the speed of sound will be.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and the speed of sound in a liquid or solid?

As temperature increases, the speed of sound in a liquid or solid also increases. This is because higher temperatures decrease the viscosity of the material, allowing sound waves to travel more quickly.

3. How does the molecular structure of a material affect the speed of sound?

The molecular structure of a material plays a significant role in determining the speed of sound. Materials with tightly packed molecules, like solids, have a higher speed of sound compared to materials with loosely packed molecules, like liquids.

4. Can the speed of sound in a liquid or solid be measured directly?

Yes, the speed of sound in a liquid or solid can be measured directly using specialized equipment such as an ultrasonic pulse-echo method. This involves sending a sound wave through the material and measuring the time it takes for the wave to reflect back.

5. How does the speed of sound in liquids and solids compare to the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in liquids and solids is significantly higher than the speed of sound in air. For example, the speed of sound in air at room temperature is approximately 343 meters per second, while the speed of sound in water is about 1480 meters per second and in steel is about 5960 meters per second.