Register to reply

Criteria for Solving this equation

by smooney
Tags: criteria, equation, solving
Share this thread:
smooney
Jan14-13, 03:28 PM
P: 1
Is it possible to solve this equation in terms of H without knowing any numbers? If so what method would I use? If I had numbers I think I could solve it numerically in excel. It's been a few years since I was in school and am fairly (very) rusty:

H^5 -10*L*H^4 +25*L^2*H^3 -25*Q^2/K^2 = 0

L,K = Constant

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
SteamKing
Jan14-13, 03:40 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,318
You have a fifth order polynomial in H. There is no general formula which can solve this equation. If you have numerical values for your constants, then an iterative procedure (perhaps using Excel) would be the way to calculate solutions.
JJacquelin
Jan15-13, 12:46 AM
P: 756
There is no simple formula giving Y as a function of L, H, Q, K because it is a polynomial equation of the fifth degree.
Such formula exists, but involving special functions : the Jacobi theta functions. But, in practice, it is much simpler to use numerical methods to solve the equation.

Register to reply