Basic model for solids

by VivaLaFisica
Tags: basic, model, solids
VivaLaFisica
Jan14-13, 04:49 PM
P: 8
Given two ionic cores, i and j, can someone please explain what it is that's happening as the distance between them decreases? What is its significance?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
ZapperZ
Jan15-13, 07:52 AM
Mentor
P: 28,800
Quote Quote by VivaLaFisica View Post
Given two ionic cores, i and j, can someone please explain what it is that's happening as the distance between them decreases? What is its significance?
It is difficult to know what exactly you are asking here. Are you asking why, as the two ions gets closer, the field changes? Isn't this just a standard E&M problem?

Or are you asking what would cause the two ions to be closer?

{scratching head}

Zz.
Kholdstare
Jan15-13, 08:11 AM
P: 390
Quote Quote by VivaLaFisica View Post
All I can see is that they are forming bonding orbitals from non-bonding orbitals. But that itself does not make any solid.

M@2
Feb13-13, 05:55 PM
P: 67

Basic model for solids

For chemists easy explanation see in a book
Roald Hoffmann Solids and Surfaces: A Chemist's View of Bonding in Extended Structures [1st edition ed.] (9780471187103, 0471187100) Wiley-VCH 1989 (76pages) English 5 Mb pdf

Register to reply