can a quark emit a photon

by copernicus1
Tags: emit, photon, quark
copernicus1
Jan16-13, 01:33 PM
P: 82
In quark-level diagrams of decays, I often see, for instance, a baryon with one quark emitting a gluon and then the gluon goes on to decay into two new quarks. What I'm wondering is, if the gluon is color-neutral, can a photon play this same role in theory? Is this impossible due to some conservation law or other principle, or just very unlikely?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A 'quantum leap' in encryption technology
Using antineutrinos to monitor nuclear reactors
Bake your own droplet lens
LastOneStanding
Jan16-13, 02:22 PM
P: 718
Yes, quark-antiquark annihilation can produce photons (though with lower probability than gluons) and quark-quark and quark-antiquark scattering can be mediated by photon exchange. Quarks are electrically charged which is enough to tell you they interact with photons.

Edit: Though note that quark-antiquark annihilation into photons can only occur if the incoming particles have the same flavour and are anti-colour pairs. So a blue up quark can annihilate with an anti-blue up antiquark into photons.
copernicus1
Jan16-13, 02:26 PM
Hmm well I know that two quarks can annihilate to produce photons, but I guess I'm wondering about a more specific process here---where a single quark emits a photon, so that the original quark and the photon both go flying off, and then the photon decays into two quarks.

Hepth
Jan16-13, 04:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 445

can a quark emit a photon

Yes, its possible. The photon can be considered a "long distance effect" while the strong a "short distance" effect. (all about energy scales).

Here are the first order diagrams for an up going to an up and a down-antidown pair:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}
\text{WEAK} & \text{PHOTON}\\
\text{GLUON} & \text{Z BOSON}
\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

copernicus1
Jan16-13, 09:45 PM
Wow thanks!
mfb
Jan17-13, 07:57 AM
Mentor
P: 10,864
Just one detail:
Quote Quote by copernicus1 View Post
What I'm wondering is, if the gluon is color-neutral
There are no color-neutral quarks.
If a quark emits a photon, it simply keeps its color charge.

Register to reply