Register to reply

Can a quark emit a photon

by copernicus1
Tags: emit, photon, quark
Share this thread:
copernicus1
Jan16-13, 01:33 PM
P: 85
In quark-level diagrams of decays, I often see, for instance, a baryon with one quark emitting a gluon and then the gluon goes on to decay into two new quarks. What I'm wondering is, if the gluon is color-neutral, can a photon play this same role in theory? Is this impossible due to some conservation law or other principle, or just very unlikely?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays
LastOneStanding
Jan16-13, 02:22 PM
P: 718
Yes, quark-antiquark annihilation can produce photons (though with lower probability than gluons) and quark-quark and quark-antiquark scattering can be mediated by photon exchange. Quarks are electrically charged which is enough to tell you they interact with photons.

Edit: Though note that quark-antiquark annihilation into photons can only occur if the incoming particles have the same flavour and are anti-colour pairs. So a blue up quark can annihilate with an anti-blue up antiquark into photons.
copernicus1
Jan16-13, 02:26 PM
Hmm well I know that two quarks can annihilate to produce photons, but I guess I'm wondering about a more specific process here---where a single quark emits a photon, so that the original quark and the photon both go flying off, and then the photon decays into two quarks.

Hepth
Jan16-13, 04:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 472
Can a quark emit a photon

Yes, its possible. The photon can be considered a "long distance effect" while the strong a "short distance" effect. (all about energy scales).

Here are the first order diagrams for an up going to an up and a down-antidown pair:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}
\text{WEAK} & \text{PHOTON}\\
\text{GLUON} & \text{Z BOSON}
\end{array}\right)
[/tex]

copernicus1
Jan16-13, 09:45 PM
Wow thanks!
mfb
Jan17-13, 07:57 AM
Mentor
P: 12,113
Just one detail:
Quote Quote by copernicus1 View Post
What I'm wondering is, if the gluon is color-neutral
There are no color-neutral quarks.
If a quark emits a photon, it simply keeps its color charge.

Register to reply