Power for Pumps

by Poco Express
Tags: power, pumps
Share this thread:
Poco Express
Jan20-13, 03:27 AM
P: 6
Hi
I am doing a mine engineering degree by correspondence and I have an assignment to do and the lecture notes do not provide any assistance on some of the cals.
I am hoping some of you can help me
I will start with these two questions and see if you can help before posting more:
Q1)
Determine the reqired power to pump 11.36 l/s against a total dynamic head of 112.78m if the pump operates at 70% efficiency
Q2)
What is the required power to pump 4000 litres per minute against a total dynamic head of 120m if the pump operates at 75% efficiency

The formula the notes gives me is
P = Q.γ.H / 10 power 6
But I can't work out what this means
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Travis_King
Jan21-13, 10:12 AM
P: 851
This is a decent little paper on pump requirements.

I've never seen a power formula with 10^6 in the denominator.

Generally, the equation is some form of: [(Flow rate)*(Head)*(Specific Gravity)] / [(multiplier)*(% efficiency/100)]
Of course care must be given to units to determine the value of the multiplier in order to get your power in the correct units as well. Though, again, I don't know how the multiplier could go as high as 10^6.

Nor do I know what the y is in this equation (is it SG? If so, where is the efficiency considered?).
rude man
Jan21-13, 11:39 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,914
Quote Quote by Poco Express View Post
Hi
I am doing a mine engineering degree by correspondence and I have an assignment to do and the lecture notes do not provide any assistance on some of the cals.
I am hoping some of you can help me
I will start with these two questions and see if you can help before posting more:
Q1)
Determine the reqired power to pump 11.36 l/s against a total dynamic head of 112.78m if the pump operates at 70% efficiency
Q2)
What is the required power to pump 4000 litres per minute against a total dynamic head of 120m if the pump operates at 75% efficiency

The formula the notes gives me is
P = Q.γ.H / 10 power 6
But I can't work out what this means
I assume we're talking about water.
Q1:
1st, what is the energy (in Joules) needed to lift 11.36 l over a height of 112.78m?
2nd, what power is required to do this in a time of 1s?
3rd, how do you adjust the required power in light of the 70% pump efficiency?

Q2: same thing except convert l/min. to kg/s.

Register to reply