Fluid Dynamics Question - Pressure Difference in Horizontal Pipe

In summary, fluid dynamics is the study of how liquids and gases behave and interact with their environment. Pressure difference in a horizontal pipe is the difference in pressure caused by fluid flow and can be affected by factors such as velocity, viscosity, and density. This pressure difference determines the direction and rate of fluid flow, with higher pressure differences leading to faster flow. Several factors can affect pressure difference, including the fluid's properties and external factors. Pressure difference in a horizontal pipe can be measured using a pressure gauge, manometer, or differential pressure transmitter.
fazer2014

Homework Statement

The Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS) carries around 100,000m3 of oil per day from the Northern Alaskan oil fields to the nearest ice-free port of Valdez, around 1300km away. The pipe has an outer diameter of 1.22m and a wall thickness of 12mm. Eleven pumping stations are used along the total length of the pipeline to transport the oil.

Note: Assume that the pumping stations are equally spaced along the pipeline, that the pipe is roughly straight and horizontal, and that the flow with the pipe is laminar, Newtonian and steady-state. Also assume that the pumps are 100% efficient so that all energy consumed by the pumps is dissipated by the fluid. The density and kinematic viscosity of the oil are (rho)=890 kg/m3 and (nu)= 7.17 x 10-4 m2 /s respectively.

(a) Starting from first principles, estimate the pressure increase that must be generated by each of the eleven pumping stations to maintain the flow.

(b) The rate that energy is dissipated D(W) by a fluid when it flows through a horizontal pipe under the influence of a pressure difference is given by

D = (delta)P x Q

where (delta)P is the difference in pressure between the inlet and outlet to the pipe (Pa), and Q is the volumetric flowrate through the pipe (m3/s). How much power (rate of energy use) is required to maintain the flowrate of oil through the entire pipeline?

If oil is burned to power the pumps, and 3.6 x 104 MJ of energy can be harnessed from burning 1 m3 of oil, what percentage of the total flowrate needs to be burnt to maintain the flow?

Homework Equations

Momentum balance over CV in the direction of flow:
rate of change of momentum = rate of momentum in - rate of momentum out + weight + pressure forces + viscous stresses

The Attempt at a Solution

We have been taught a certain way of solving these problems, I ended up with a momentum balance that only contained pressure forces and viscous stresses (everything else either equalled zero or canceled out).
Using this momentum balance over the control volume, and Newtons Law of Viscosity, I derived an equation for shear stress (tau) and velocity in the horizontal direction where vz = vz(r) where r is the axis of the pipe radius.

I got:

vz(r) = [ΔP / 4*μ*L][R2 - r2]

I assume I need to find ΔP to estimate the pressure difference but I'm not sure how to do this? I subbed in all the known constants but still ended up with only:

ΔP = vz,max / 1.12x10-7

Can anyone guide me on how to finish up part a? Or perhaps tell me if I've done something terribly wrong along the way?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
nicola_a said:

Homework Statement

The Trans-Alaska Pipeline System (TAPS) carries around 100,000m3 of oil per day from the Northern Alaskan oil fields to the nearest ice-free port of Valdez, around 1300km away. The pipe has an outer diameter of 1.22m and a wall thickness of 12mm. Eleven pumping stations are used along the total length of the pipeline to transport the oil.

Note: Assume that the pumping stations are equally spaced along the pipeline, that the pipe is roughly straight and horizontal, and that the flow with the pipe is laminar, Newtonian and steady-state. Also assume that the pumps are 100% efficient so that all energy consumed by the pumps is dissipated by the fluid. The density and kinematic viscosity of the oil are (rho)=890 kg/m3 and (nu)= 7.17 x 10-4 m2 /s respectively.

(a) Starting from first principles, estimate the pressure increase that must be generated by each of the eleven pumping stations to maintain the flow.

(b) The rate that energy is dissipated D(W) by a fluid when it flows through a horizontal pipe under the influence of a pressure difference is given by

D = (delta)P x Q

where (delta)P is the difference in pressure between the inlet and outlet to the pipe (Pa), and Q is the volumetric flowrate through the pipe (m3/s). How much power (rate of energy use) is required to maintain the flowrate of oil through the entire pipeline?

If oil is burned to power the pumps, and 3.6 x 104 MJ of energy can be harnessed from burning 1 m3 of oil, what percentage of the total flowrate needs to be burnt to maintain the flow?

Homework Equations

Momentum balance over CV in the direction of flow:
rate of change of momentum = rate of momentum in - rate of momentum out + weight + pressure forces + viscous stresses

The Attempt at a Solution

We have been taught a certain way of solving these problems, I ended up with a momentum balance that only contained pressure forces and viscous stresses (everything else either equalled zero or canceled out).
Using this momentum balance over the control volume, and Newtons Law of Viscosity, I derived an equation for shear stress (tau) and velocity in the horizontal direction where vz = vz(r) where r is the axis of the pipe radius.

I got:

vz(r) = [ΔP / 4*μ*L][R2 - r2]

I assume I need to find ΔP to estimate the pressure difference but I'm not sure how to do this? I subbed in all the known constants but still ended up with only:

ΔP = vz,max / 1.12x10-7

Can anyone guide me on how to finish up part a? Or perhaps tell me if I've done something terribly wrong along the way?

Thanks for your help!
Integrate the velocity equation over the cross sectional area to get the relationship between the volumetric throughput rate and the pressure drop. I.E., multiply both sides of the equation by 2∏rdr, and integrate with respect to r from r= 0 to r=R.

Chet

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave and interact with their environment. It involves understanding the motion and forces that occur within fluids, as well as their effects on objects and surfaces.

2. What is pressure difference in a horizontal pipe?

Pressure difference in a horizontal pipe refers to the difference in pressure between two points along the pipe, caused by the fluid flow. It can be affected by factors such as the fluid's velocity, viscosity, and density.

3. How does pressure difference affect fluid flow in a horizontal pipe?

The pressure difference in a horizontal pipe determines the direction and rate of fluid flow. Fluids will always flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, and the greater the pressure difference, the faster the flow will be.

4. What factors can affect pressure difference in a horizontal pipe?

There are several factors that can affect pressure difference in a horizontal pipe, including the fluid's velocity, density, and viscosity, as well as the pipe's diameter, length, and roughness. External factors such as obstructions or changes in elevation can also impact pressure difference.

5. How is pressure difference measured in a horizontal pipe?

Pressure difference in a horizontal pipe can be measured using a pressure gauge, which is typically connected to the pipe at two different points. The difference between the readings on the gauge represents the pressure difference. Other methods such as using manometers or differential pressure transmitters can also be used to measure pressure difference.