Register to reply

How to find angle after two rotations

by 1MileCrash
Tags: angle, rotations
Share this thread:
1MileCrash
Jan23-13, 06:29 PM
P: 1,295
I have coordinate system A with bases a, b, c.

Say I rotate the whole system 30 degrees, so that the angle between a and a' is 30 degrees.

Then I make another rotation so that this plane of rotation is perpendicular to that of the old one.

What is the angle between a and a' now?

I am trying to find the angles to use in a tensor transformation law, but I am having problems understanding what the angles will be between the old and new axes when a transformation isn't just a single rotation in one plane of the system.

Tia
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
HallsofIvy
Jan24-13, 06:55 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,503
You can write any rotation as a matrix multiplication. Then two rotations is given by the product of the two matrices.

For example, if you wrote 30 degrees around the z- axis, the rotation is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(30) & -sin(30) & 0 \\ sin(30) & cos(30) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & -\frac{1}{2} & 0\\ \frac{1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}& 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

A rotation around the y-axis, through 30 degrees is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(30) & 0 &-sin(30)\\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ sin(30) & 0 & cos(30) \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & 0 & -\frac{1}{2} \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ \frac{1}{2} & 0 & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The two rotations together would be given by the product of the two matrices.
tiny-tim
Jan24-13, 06:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi Tia!

Alternatively, use quaternions, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatern...atial_rotation

Register to reply