Register to reply

How to find angle after two rotations

by 1MileCrash
Tags: angle, rotations
Share this thread:
1MileCrash
Jan23-13, 06:29 PM
P: 1,290
I have coordinate system A with bases a, b, c.

Say I rotate the whole system 30 degrees, so that the angle between a and a' is 30 degrees.

Then I make another rotation so that this plane of rotation is perpendicular to that of the old one.

What is the angle between a and a' now?

I am trying to find the angles to use in a tensor transformation law, but I am having problems understanding what the angles will be between the old and new axes when a transformation isn't just a single rotation in one plane of the system.

Tia
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
HallsofIvy
Jan24-13, 06:55 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
You can write any rotation as a matrix multiplication. Then two rotations is given by the product of the two matrices.

For example, if you wrote 30 degrees around the z- axis, the rotation is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(30) & -sin(30) & 0 \\ sin(30) & cos(30) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & -\frac{1}{2} & 0\\ \frac{1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}& 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

A rotation around the y-axis, through 30 degrees is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(30) & 0 &-sin(30)\\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ sin(30) & 0 & cos(30) \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & 0 & -\frac{1}{2} \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ \frac{1}{2} & 0 & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The two rotations together would be given by the product of the two matrices.
tiny-tim
Jan24-13, 06:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Hi Tia!

Alternatively, use quaternions, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatern...atial_rotation

Register to reply