Question about the meaning of derivative .

by thewoodpecker
Tags: derivative, meaning
thewoodpecker
Jan26-13, 11:08 AM
P: 3
Hello

I know that the definition of a derivative at given point is the limit of the difference quotient as Δx goes to zero.

I just want to be sure, that I have understood it right. So i have this question.

Is the derivative at a given point is the ratio of change of dependent variable and change of independent variable over a so small distance (infinitely small) that we can assume this ratio(slope) does not change in that distance, and we can look at this distance as one point.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
rollingstein
Jan26-13, 02:01 PM
P: 305
Sounds good to me broadly.
thewoodpecker
Jan27-13, 10:06 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Please if someone see something wrong in my statement, correct it.

Mark44
Jan28-13, 08:58 AM
Mentor
P: 21,069

Question about the meaning of derivative .

Quote Quote by thewoodpecker View Post
Hello

I know that the definition of a derivative at given point is the limit of the difference quotient as Δx goes to zero.

I just want to be sure, that I have understood it right. So i have this question.

Is the derivative at a given point is the ratio of change of dependent variable and change of independent variable over a so small distance (infinitely small) that we can assume this ratio(slope) does not change in that distance, and we can look at this distance as one point.
What does "distance as one point" mean? Distance is a measure of how far one point is from another point.
thewoodpecker
Jan28-13, 01:19 PM
Would it be correct if i say the two points are infinitely close to each other so we can view at these two points as one point? The distance between them is infinitely small.
Thanks for help.
Vorde
Jan28-13, 02:10 PM
P: 784
Quote Quote by thewoodpecker View Post
Would it be correct if i say the two points are infinitely close to each other so we can view at these two points as one point? The distance between them is infinitely small.
Thanks for help.
No. The key here was in your original post: "goes to zero." The key thing about infinitesimals is that they may be infinitely close to zero, but they are not zero. If they were, then you couldn't divide by them.

The way you should look at it is that you are considering the limit as the difference between two points gets infinitely close to zero but does not become zero.

Register to reply