An intuitive understanding for derivatives

• B
  • Thread starter sahilmm15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of derivatives and how they are represented by the equation ##\frac{dy}{dx} = 5## in the given linear equation ##y=5x+3##. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding mathematics intuitively and paying homage to great mathematicians such as Weierstraß and Hardy.
sahilmm15
Given, $$y=5x+3$$. We need to find how ##y## would change when we would make a very small change in ##x##.
So, if we assume the change in ##x## to be ##dx## the corresponding change in ##y## would be ##dy##.So, $$y+dy = 5(x+dx)+3$$ From here we get
$$\frac{dy}{dx}=5$$ From mathematical point of view everything is clear, but can you make me understand this $$\frac{dy}{dx}=5$$ in a more intuitive
way(graphical maybe) or something else.

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't the best example to show what's going on, since the derivative is constant and the tangent coincides with the curve. The slope (5) of the straight does not change when you approach a certain point. A more intuitive example might be this picture: (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangente_(géométrie))
Approche_tangente_27_11.gif

Likes sahilmm15
I'd say you are at the inituitive bedrock there. ##y = 5x + 3## describes a linear relationship where the change in ##y## is ##5## times the change in ##x##.

Likes sahilmm15
PeroK said:
I'd say you are at the inituitive bedrock there. ##y = 5x + 3## describes a linear relationship where the change in ##y## is ##5## times the change in ##x##.
##dy=5dx## does it mean if there is a very small change of x say, 'a' units then the corresponding change in y would be 5 times of that'a' unit.

sahilmm15 said:
##dy=5dx## does it mean if there is a very small change of x say, 'a' units then the corresponding change in y would be 5 times of that'a' unit.
Intuitively, yes. Note that a linear relationship (straight line) is simple. It's really when you look at the tangent to a curve that something mathematically sophisticated is needed.

Likes sahilmm15
PeroK said:
Intuitively, yes. Note that a linear relationship (straight line) is simple. It's really when you look at the tangent to a curve that something mathematically sophisticated is needed.
Thanks for the help, intuitively understanding math is fun. Now, this would always give me a sense of what's really going on while doing problems.

sahilmm15 said:
I like Weierstraß' way of writing it: ##\mathbf{y(x_{0}+v)=y(x_{0})+J(v)+r(v)}##

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}\cdot dx=dy=5\cdot(x_0+dx)+3=(5x_0+3)+\mathbf{J}(dx)+0 \Longrightarrow \mathbf{J}(dx)=5\cdot dx## and the derivative / gradient / Jacobi matrix turns out to be the linear function 'times five'.

fresh_42 said:
I like Weierstraß' way of writing it: ##\mathbf{y(x_{0}+v)=y(x_{0})+J(v)+r(v)}##

##\dfrac{dy}{dx}\cdot dx=dy=5\cdot(x_0+dx)+3=(5x_0+3)+\mathbf{J}(dx)+0 \Longrightarrow \mathbf{J}(dx)=5\cdot dx## and the derivative / gradient / Jacobi matrix turns out to be the linear function 'times five'.
I wonder if there is a town in Germany anywhere that, as a homage to the great mathematician, has a Weierstraßstraße?

PeroK said:
I wonder if there is a town in Germany anywhere that, as a homage to the great mathematician, has a Weierstraßstraße?
There is a Weierstaßweg in his birth town Ostenfelde, better village in the middle of nowhere, since it has only 2,500 inhabitants, and several others in the near neighborhood. He is a bit underestimated here I think, because best mathematicians can hope for to be remembered by non mathematicians is Gauß. I wonder if people - not mathematicians of course - remembered Hardy?

Likes PeroK
fresh_42 said:
There is a Weierstaßweg in his birth town Ostenfelde, better village in the middle of nowhere, since it has only 2,500 inhabitants, and several others in the near neighborhood. He is a bit underestimated here I think, because best mathematicians can hope for to be remembered by non mathematicians is Gauß. I wonder if people - not mathematicians of course - remembered Hardy?
People in the UK remember Laurel & Hardy, but not Littlewood & Hardy!

Likes fresh_42

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. They represent the slope of a curve at a specific point and can be used to analyze the behavior of functions.

2. Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives are important because they have many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. They allow us to understand the relationship between quantities and how they change over time. They are also essential in the development of more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. How do you find derivatives?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression. You can also use graphical methods or use software programs to find derivatives.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative measures the instantaneous rate of change of a function, while an integral measures the accumulated change of a function over an interval. In other words, a derivative tells you how fast something is changing at a specific point, while an integral tells you the total amount of change over a given period.

5. How are derivatives used in real life?

Derivatives have many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate velocity and acceleration, in economics to analyze supply and demand curves, and in engineering to optimize designs. They are also used in finance to calculate risk and in computer science to design algorithms and optimize code.