Comsol moving boundary with loss of mass

In summary, the person is seeking help with simulating a plate with a hole that increases in size over time based on an equation that is dependent on stress. They are unsure if they should use the moving mesh or Deformed Geometry interface in COMSOL. The second person suggests using the Moving Mesh interface for changes in shape due to stress and the Deformed Geometry interface for changes due to material removal or addition. They also provide a link for more information and sign off as a COMSOL employee named Niklas.
SSS_04
I need some help!My problem is a problem of moving boundary with loss of mass... I started to use COMSOL and I need to simulate one plate with a hole on the center. And this hole is increasing with the time according to one equation (like a velocity, in m/s) which depend of the stress. Someone knows how to do this? Can I do this whit the moving mesh? Or I should use the DG?
Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me what exactly you mean with mass loss here. If the structure is changing shape due to applied stress (->strain), use the Moving Mesh interface. If the structure is changing shape due to material removal/addition, use the Deformed Geometry interface. This link gives some more info:
http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/970/
regards
Niklas (COMSOL employee)

Last edited by a moderator:
This might help you in explanation.

1. How does Comsol handle moving boundaries with loss of mass?

Comsol uses a numerical method called Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian (ALE) to handle moving boundaries with loss of mass. This method allows the boundary to move and deform while also tracking the changes in mass.

2. Can Comsol accurately simulate mass loss in a moving boundary system?

Yes, Comsol has been extensively validated and is known for its high accuracy in simulating systems with moving boundaries and mass loss. However, the accuracy of the simulation also depends on the input parameters and assumptions made in the model.

3. How does Comsol handle the loss of mass during the simulation?

Comsol uses the ALE method to track the changes in mass and adjust the boundary accordingly. It also allows for the user to specify the type of mass loss, such as diffusion or evaporation, and the corresponding equations are incorporated into the simulation.

4. Are there any limitations to Comsol's handling of moving boundaries with loss of mass?

While Comsol is known for its accuracy, it is important to note that there may be limitations in simulating complex systems with multiple moving boundaries and mass loss mechanisms. It is always recommended to carefully validate and verify the results of any simulation.

5. Can Comsol simulate the effect of mass loss on other parameters in a system?

Yes, Comsol has the capability to incorporate the effects of mass loss on other parameters such as temperature, concentration, and flow. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the system and its behavior under changing boundary conditions.