Simulating a MAGLEV train with COMSOL

In summary, a high school student is trying to model a MAGLEV train using COMSOL. They first created a prototype through CAD Onshape, then created it in real life and applied their DC Motors. They collected data such as the time for the distance it ran and are now computing for other variables such as acceleration, velocity, and force.
berry123
TL;DR Summary
This is for AC/DC and electrical engineering.
So I am currently trying to model a MAGLEV train using COMSOL (high school research project). My project uses AC and DC motors as alternatives to the current maglev infrastructure and transportation. I first created a prototype through CAD Onshape, then created it in real life and applied my DC Motors, and ran the maglev on a track provided in the classroom. I collected data such as the time for the distance it ran (for each motor) and I am now computing for other variables such as acceleration, velocity, and force.

I need to use COMSOL to both: Simulate my prototype with an AC motor (by uploading my model on CAD into COMSOL) because AC motors are too costly and dangerous to use for the purpose of my research, optimize the maglev with the dc motors AND ac motors on COMSOL to gather data on how the maglev would work in a real-life situation, and conduct a Finite Element Analysis.

Could someone help me get started?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are we trying to build an actual simulation simulation, or more like just trying to make a cool looking 3d video? Does COMSOL simulate accurate magnetic fields?

I am trying to actually simulate it. I have my model imported from COMSOL and I need to add an AC motor from the applications library and simulate it, as well as figure out some equations (mainly kinematic).

Then I need to conduct a finite element analysis for like a real-world situation

This sound like something that should be doable in COMSOL.
However, I don't understand what it is what you are actually trying to simulate.
That is, which parameters are you trying to calculate?

Also, whereas it is possible to import the actual CAD model you should only do so if you absolutely have to. You should always try to simplify the model as much as possible; COMSOL is very powerful but you can easily end up with a model that can't be solved on a regular computer in a reasonable amount of time.

1. How does COMSOL simulate a MAGLEV train?

COMSOL uses a finite element method to simulate the electromagnetic fields and forces involved in a MAGLEV train. This method solves Maxwell's equations and takes into account the geometry and material properties of the train and its surroundings.

2. What factors are considered in the simulation of a MAGLEV train?

The simulation takes into account the magnetic field strength, train speed, geometry of the track and train, material properties, and any external forces or disturbances that may affect the train's movement.

3. Can COMSOL accurately predict the performance of a MAGLEV train?

COMSOL simulations have been validated against experimental data and have shown good agreement. However, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made in the model.

4. Can COMSOL simulate the levitation and propulsion systems of a MAGLEV train?

Yes, COMSOL can simulate both the electromagnetic levitation and propulsion systems of a MAGLEV train. The simulation takes into account the interaction between the two systems and their effect on the train's movement.

5. How can the COMSOL simulation results be used to improve the design of a MAGLEV train?

The simulation results can provide valuable insights into the performance of the train and its components. By analyzing the results, engineers can identify areas for improvement and optimize the design to increase efficiency and stability of the train.