OpenFTA radio buttons invisible in defining Primary Event

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential issue with the OpenFTA app on Windows 7 64-bit, specifically with radio buttons not being visible in the "Primary Event" function. The individual has searched for a solution online but has not found anything relevant. They also mention a temporary message about the color scheme changing when the app is run on Windows 7, and speculate that this may be the cause of the issue. The individual asks for advice from others who have used OpenFTA on Windows 7/Vista and encountered or not encountered this problem, as well as potential solutions or workarounds. They later find a solution by changing the Windows 7 theme to Windows Classic, but note that this is not an ideal solution as it may
FizicistsRool
I am test driving an app (OpenFTA, http://www.openfta.com) for small Fault Tree Analyses on Windows 7 64-bit. In one of the functions (defining a "Primary Event"), the radio buttons are not visible. Googling with the following search phrase does not yield anything relevant:

open-fta primary-event radio-buttons-not-visible

I'm not sure if OpenFTA is malfunctioning or whether this is due to the fact that Windows 7 changes the colour scheme when the app is run. I always get a temporary message:

"The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic. A running program isn't compatible with certain visual elements of Windows."

Clicking on the message indicates that the app is incompatible with Windows Aero Theme. A comparison between Aero and Basic shows that the primary visual difference is the lack of translucency in Basic. I suspect that this would not cause the radio buttons to be invisible because the app is not meant to use Aero features anyway.

1. Has anyone else used OpenFTA on Windows 7/Vista and either encountered this problem or NOT encountered this problem?

2. What could be the cause?

3. What are workarounds or solutions?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found the solution. Change from Windows 7 Basic theme to Windows Classic theme at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization.

Afternote: Actually, it's a pretty nonideal solution. It works for defining Primary Events, but the main fault tree window sometimes becomes blank when the "solution" is in effect. So far, I could avoid this by ensuring that the main fault tree window has the focus when switching to Windows Classic theme.

Last edited:

1. Why are the radio buttons in OpenFTA invisible when defining a Primary Event?

The radio buttons in OpenFTA are invisible by default to avoid cluttering the interface. However, they can be easily activated by clicking on the "Show Radio Buttons" option in the "View" menu.

2. How do I know which radio button is selected when defining a Primary Event?

When the radio buttons are activated, the selected option will be highlighted in blue. You can also hover over each radio button to see a tooltip indicating which option it represents.

3. Can I customize the radio buttons in OpenFTA?

Yes, you can change the appearance of the radio buttons by going to the "Appearance" tab in the "Options" menu. From there, you can choose from different styles and colors for the radio buttons.

4. Are there keyboard shortcuts for selecting radio buttons in OpenFTA?

Yes, you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate between radio buttons and the spacebar to select the desired option.

5. Can I resize the radio buttons in OpenFTA?

No, the size of the radio buttons is fixed and cannot be changed. However, you can adjust the overall size of the interface by going to the "Appearance" tab in the "Options" menu.