Register to reply

Aliasing (Fourier Transform)

by kakolukia786
Tags: aliasing, fourier, transform
Share this thread:
kakolukia786
Feb1-13, 08:08 AM
P: 11
Hi. I have been given a plot for 1 Hz, sampled at 0.2 sec. And, 4 Hz and 11 Hz has also been plotted. So, from the plot, I can see that its really hard to distinguish between the signals after digitalization. My question is how do I find the next higher frequency which, when sampled at 0.2 secs, will look like a 1 Hz wave ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Low-Q
Feb5-13, 07:55 AM
PF Gold
P: 244
Quote Quote by kakolukia786 View Post
Hi. I have been given a plot for 1 Hz, sampled at 0.2 sec. And, 4 Hz and 11 Hz has also been plotted. So, from the plot, I can see that its really hard to distinguish between the signals after digitalization. My question is how do I find the next higher frequency which, when sampled at 0.2 secs, will look like a 1 Hz wave ?
Do you mean 0.2s duration of sampling (with a given sampling frequency), or do you mean one sample every 0.2s (5Hz sampling frequency)?

Vidar
kakolukia786
Feb5-13, 01:09 PM
P: 11
I mean one sample every 0.2 seconds

Low-Q
Feb6-13, 11:13 AM
PF Gold
P: 244
Aliasing (Fourier Transform)

Quote Quote by kakolukia786 View Post
I mean one sample every 0.2 seconds
In general you need at least two samples per cycle. You have a sampling frequency of 5Hz. Sampling 1Hz with this is not a problem - however very coarse plot. Using the same sampling frequency when you have 4 and 11Hz input would not provide any results at all.
According to Nyquist theorem, the minimum sampling frequency is twice the frequency you are trying to sample. Below you see a link to a PDF explaining this.

http://redwood.berkeley.edu/bruno/npb261/aliasing.pdf

Vidar

Register to reply