Register to reply

Is Russian meteor related to a asteroid known as 2012 DA14?

by M@2
Tags: 2012, asteroid, da14, meteor, russian
Share this thread:
M@2
Feb15-13, 11:30 PM
P: 67
I doubt it. The trajectory of meteor was very close to be horizontal, so it could make revolution('s) around the earth and fly opposite direction to asteroid known as 2012 DA14, being a remnants of 2012 DA14.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Fermi satellite detects gamma-rays from exploding novae
Research finds numerous unknown jets from young stars and planetary nebulae
Image: Hubble serves a slice of stars
Drakkith
Feb15-13, 11:50 PM
Mentor
P: 11,618
Unless you've done the math to determine the orbital characteristics of the meteor and compared them to 2012 DA14, then I will take NASA's opinion over yours. And even then I probably still would.
The chance that the meteor was related to 2012 DA14 and happened to be pulled into an approach trajectory that is completely opposite of what it was prior to its encounter with the Earth is very remote, if not impossible.
M@2
Feb15-13, 11:57 PM
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
Unless you've done the math to determine the orbital characteristics of the meteor and compared them to 2012 DA14, then I will take NASA's opinion over yours. And even then I probably still would.
The chance that the meteor was related to 2012 DA14 and happened to be pulled into an approach trajectory that is completely opposite of what it was prior to its encounter with the Earth is very remote, if not impossible.
Probability is thin thing. You see shallow trajectory. To have shallow trajectory is ALMOST impossible!!! But it DOES real!!!

Drakkith
Feb16-13, 12:07 AM
Mentor
Is Russian meteor related to a asteroid known as 2012 DA14?

Quote Quote by M@2 View Post
Probability is thin thing.
Probability is an very important part of science.

You see shallow trajectory. To have shallow trajectory is ALMOST impossible!!! But it DOES real!!!
Please provide a reference stating the meteors trajectory. Then we can discuss it.
M@2
Feb16-13, 12:22 AM
Probability is an very important part of science.

Please provide a reference stating the meteors trajectory. Then we can discuss it.
I read arguments in russian press. They say about OPPOSITE directions of russian meteor and asteroid, so they decide that asteroid and meteor are unconnected.

But what about meteor, being a member of "2012 DA14 asteroid belt" (in some sense), made 1/2 revolt around the Earth chandged the direction of motion?
Drakkith
Feb16-13, 01:11 AM
Mentor
But what about meteor, being a member of "2012 DA14 asteroid belt" (in some sense), made 1/2 revolt around the Earth chandged the direction of motion?
Very unlikely. That's why they claim they aren't connected. I don't think they Earth's gravitational pull is strong enough to completely change the trajectory of the meteor BEFORE it hits the atmosphere. Not if it was traveling at a similar velocity to 2012 DA14. And if it wasn't traveling the same speed, then it wouldn't be connected.
Drakkith
Feb16-13, 01:21 AM
Mentor
See the following link for more information on the relationship between the two.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Ru...eroid_approach
micromass
Feb16-13, 02:15 AM
Mentor
P: 18,094
We have many reputable sources stating that the two are unrelated.

Do you have any reputable source arguing that there is a relation between the two?? If not, then this thread is over.
M@2
Feb16-13, 03:31 AM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
We have many reputable sources stating that the two are unrelated.

Do you have any reputable source arguing that there is a relation between the two?? If not, then this thread is over.
My reputable source is my education.
Do You have reputable source publications?

I don't think "reputable" source can publish "reputable" article with "reputable" data about Russian meteor in one day.
Have you russian anti-missile system data already?
In 1961 we shot down american spy plane U-2 about the same place.

There were data that we, russians, tryed to shot down meteor :)
M@2
Feb16-13, 03:59 AM
.... I don't think they Earth's gravitational pull is strong enough to completely change the trajectory of the meteor BEFORE it hits the atmosphere. Not if it was traveling at a similar velocity to 2012 DA14.
Before or not before in outer space bodyes obey Newton's gravitational law. And can be captured by Earths gravitation if their trajectories are close enough to Earth.
micromass
Feb16-13, 04:10 AM
Mentor
P: 18,094
My reputable source is my education.
Do You have reputable source publications?

I don't think "reputable" source can publish "reputable" article with "reputable" data about Russian meteor in one day.
Have you russian anti-missile system data already?
In 1961 we shot down american spy plane U-2 about the same place.

There were data that we, russians, tryed to shot down meteor :)
I thought so. Please be sure to read our rules: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Thread locked.

Register to reply