Tags: None
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Jan18-13, 09:57 PM
Admin
P: 9,474

User comments:
  • Redbelly98:
    Over the last 30 or so years, this has become a standard textbook for an introductory optics course typically taken by college juniors or seniors. I often refer to it to refresh my background since using it for a course in 1987.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
fluidistic
Feb15-13, 07:55 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,188
I used this book for my lower level undergraduate Optics course. I liked it a lot. From what I remember it covers a lot for a first course on optics, has neat explanations and many problems (if I remember well, the solution to odd numbered problems are in the back of the book). I have not found any better book for an introduction to optics.
Lavabug
Feb15-13, 08:13 PM
P: 897
Despite having taken 2 optics courses I never got much use out of this one, which was one of the recommended texts. I thought it was way too verbose and not concise at all.

I hear the schaum's outline for optics (same author) is very good though.

Mmm_Pasta
Feb16-13, 12:24 AM
P: 223
Optics by Eugene Hecht

Just like Lavabug, I found the text very verbose. The figures found throughout the text are informative, though. There is a good selection of problems.

I would not use this text as a reference, but would use it to brush up on problem solving.
Dr Transport
Feb16-13, 08:24 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,473
Quote Quote by Lavabug View Post

I hear the schaum's outline for optics (same author) is very good though.
I kinda agree, the book is good, but I find the Schaum's more appealing and easier to find needed information.
Tsunoyukami
Aug3-13, 02:44 AM
P: 207
I agree that Hecht's Optics is far too wordy. That being said, however, I found it explained (most) concepts well, if in a wordy manner. I definitely appreciated the large number of exercises!

Register to reply