"The Geometry of Physics" - Theodore Frankel

In summary: He assumes linear algebra and multivariable calculus, but provides a lot of examples and problems. I haven't heard/read any bad reviews. In summary, the book is available at a relatively cheap price and covers a TON of material.
Falgun
Hello everyone. I was browsing through Amazon and found the aforementioned book by Theodore Frankel. As it is available at a relatively cheap price and covers a TON of material I was considering buying it for future use . Although the author says the prerequisites are only multivariable calculus and linear algebra , I find it rather hard to believe. Can anyone who has actually used this book verify this statement?
Also would it make a good addition to my library? Can I use it for a first course in tensor analysis and differential geometry? Here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107602602/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have gone through the following books as of now:

Hubbard's Vector calculus book
Tenenbaum & Pollard
Rudin's PMA (currently working on)

Any and all comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Falgun said:
I have gone through the following books as of now:

Hubbard's Vector calculus book
Tenenbaum & Pollard
Rudin's PMA (currently working on)
Have you worked the problems in Hubbard?

George Jones said:
Have you worked the problems in Hubbard?
I worked through almost all of them . I went through the whole appendix and on the whole I tried to prove things myself first.

haushofer said:
I was more of a Nakahara-guy :
I have browsed through nakahara but it assumes much more in terms of physics prerequisites.

Nakahara goes farther than Frankel and at a higher pace, so he starts farther in the curriculum. I recommend Frankel's book. I haven't heard/read bad reviews. It provides what's missing from Boas, for example.

Likes Kolmo and Falgun
As above Nakahara goes further, but a lot of that involves advanced bundle theory to reach the Atiyah-Singer index theorem which might only be of interest if you wish to look at mathematical aspects of non-perturbative gauge theory.

Frankel would be the more natural starting point and has a good writing style.

Likes Falgun

1. What is the main focus of "The Geometry of Physics" by Theodore Frankel?

The main focus of "The Geometry of Physics" is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the mathematical concepts and tools used in modern physics. It covers topics such as differential geometry, Lie groups, and symplectic geometry, which are essential for understanding the mathematical foundations of physics.

2. Is "The Geometry of Physics" suitable for non-mathematicians?

While "The Geometry of Physics" is a rigorous mathematical text, it is written in a clear and concise manner that makes it accessible to non-mathematicians. The author assumes a basic background in calculus and linear algebra, but no prior knowledge of advanced mathematics is required.

3. How does "The Geometry of Physics" differ from other books on mathematical physics?

One of the key differences of "The Geometry of Physics" is its focus on the geometric and topological aspects of mathematical physics. It also covers a wide range of topics, from classical mechanics and electromagnetism to quantum field theory and general relativity, making it a comprehensive resource for students and researchers in physics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading "The Geometry of Physics"?

As mentioned earlier, a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary for understanding the concepts presented in the book. Some familiarity with physics, particularly classical mechanics and electromagnetism, may also be helpful in fully grasping the material.

5. Can "The Geometry of Physics" be used as a textbook for a course?

Yes, "The Geometry of Physics" can be used as a textbook for a course on mathematical physics. It includes exercises and problems at the end of each chapter, making it suitable for self-study or as a textbook for a course. In fact, it is a popular textbook for graduate-level courses in mathematical physics at many universities.