Register to reply

Simple Natural Decay Question

by That Neuron
Tags: decay, emptying of water, water tank
Share this thread:
That Neuron
Feb16-13, 06:39 AM
P: 76
Okay, this is a really simple question, so to anyone looking for some extraordinarily complex differential equation question turn away now, or be blinded by boredom.

My query is rooted in a question I had about building a water clock... so seemingly relevant to Differentials, I know. Anyways, I realized that the rate of dripping (though probably much more complex than a proportionality) was at simplest proportional to the height, or at least related to it.

Anyway, I was thinking that if the rate of change of the height is proportional to the pressure on the hole at the bottom out of which water drips (or pours) then I could create the differential dy/dt = -k (πr2 pg y(t), where p is equal to the density and g is the acceleration due to gravity, this equation translates to y = y(0) e-kπr2pgt.

But this function seems to decline too steeply for this application, am I doing this right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
MostlyHarmless
Mar4-13, 01:25 PM
P: 266
Quote Quote by That Neuron View Post
Okay, this is a really simple question, so to anyone looking for some extraordinarily complex differential equation question turn away now, or be blinded by boredom.

My query is rooted in a question I had about building a water clock... so seemingly relevant to Differentials, I know. Anyways, I realized that the rate of dripping (though probably much more complex than a proportionality) was at simplest proportional to the height, or at least related to it.

Anyway, I was thinking that if the rate of change of the height is proportional to the pressure on the hole at the bottom out of which water drips (or pours) then I could create the differential dy/dt = -k (πr2 pg y(t), where p is equal to the density and g is the acceleration due to gravity, this equation translates to y = y(0) e-kπr2pgt.

But this function seems to decline too steeply for this application, am I doing this right?
Is you're equation dy/dt=-k(...pg)y(t) where "y(t)" is y as a function of t. or the variable y times the variable t?
That Neuron
Apr7-13, 02:12 AM
P: 76
Oh, no y is a function of t!

Not the height!

I actually think that I found the correct function simply by playing around with the constant k. Let me revisit this!

Register to reply