Register to reply

Basic basic set theory. Please help. Simple answer will suffice.

by andrewkg
Tags: basic, simple, suffice, theory
Share this thread:
andrewkg
Feb20-13, 02:17 AM
P: 86
Hello my name is Andy I'm in highschool, and I have a bit of a confusion or lack of information. Ok so I have been reading a book on set theory, and I keep encountering … ,but up more in the use of a set. Like A,B … but again up more to the middle of the sentence. I feel dumb, I googled it nothing, I've been thinking about it for around 2 hours. I cannot sleep it is bugging me so much. Thank you in advanced!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Simon Bridge
Feb20-13, 03:28 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,447
I keep encountering … ,but up more in the use of a set. Like A,B … but again up more to the middle of the sentence
You mean you keep encountering three dots like this "..." or "##\cdots##"?
They are called "ellipsis" and stand for the words "and so on", and mean that things continue as implied by what went before.

So:
##A,B,\cdots## means start going A B C etc and keep going in the same pattern ... so ##\{ 1,3,5,\cdots \}## would represent the set of positive odd numbers
##\{ 1,3,5,\cdots,27,29 \}## would be all the odd numbers from 1 through to 27 inclusive.
They are written like that because it would be boring to list every single member.

In a sentence it indicates, informally, a longish pause - in a quotation, it means that part of the quote that goes there was deleted for clarity.
At the end of a sentence it indicates that the sentence has been deliberately left unfinished.

See:
http://www.mathsisfun.com/sets/sets-introduction.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Register to reply