Conceptual Circuits: Understanding Electric Fields

In summary, a circuit maintains a potential difference through redox reactions and allows electrons to flow through a conducting wire. Ohm's law relates the electric field and current density, and the total resistance of the circuit includes the resistance of all components. The electric field is not constant in the circuit and there is a potential drop across the resistor, but this is negligible and often neglected. The use of wires in circuit diagrams is to make them more visually appealing.
GOPgabe
I'm just trying to get a conceptual grounding for the circuit problems in our book.

So I understand that a circuit maintains a potential difference via redox reactions. The electrons have a desire to flow, so they do so.

The potential difference and the conducting wire allow the electrons to follow a path and reach the higher potential - conventionally opposite, but it doesn't matter.

The electric field inside the circuit is related to the current density by j = σE. From this, we can derive ohm's law.

This really is my question. The resistors are going to cause voltage drops due to the loss of kinetic energy by the electrons, correct? Afterward, what happens to electric field? There's no difference in potential between the bottom of the resistor and the lower potential of the battery. If so, the electric field must be 0 then? And if that, what pushes the charges to the other electrode? The repelling force of the other charges? And then, the electric field isn't constant in the circuit. I'm pretty confused, and would be very appreciative if you could enlighten me. Thanks for taking time to read.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohm's law reads as j=σE.
This is true locally, that is, for any infinitesimally small cross sectional area element da and thickness dl,

j.da = σ.E.da;
or,
dI = (σ.da)/dl * E.dl.

When you sum this over the whole of the length of the container, you get I = V/ R,
where R equals the total resistance of the circuit
. Now this R includes the resistance of the resistor, the battery and pretty much everything present in the circuit

The answer to your question is that no, the Electric field between the bottom of the resistor and the anode is NOT 0 and there is a certain non-zero potential drop( or rise in conventional sense). However this is negligible to the potential change across the resistor and therefore as the description suggests, neglected.

But now that you are talking about ideal circuits, since they are an imaginary concept, why not just connect the resistor across the battery in the circuit diagram? Ugly right? hence the wires..

1. What is a conceptual circuit?

A conceptual circuit is a simplified representation of an electric circuit that focuses on the flow of electric charges and the interactions between different components without considering the physical layout or specific values of the components.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by electric charges and can be visualized as a set of lines representing the direction and strength of the force at different points in space.

3. How do electric fields affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Electric fields can influence the flow of current in a circuit by exerting a force on the charges, causing them to move in a particular direction. This movement of charges is what we refer to as electric current.

4. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field.

5. How can we use conceptual circuits to understand complex electric circuits?

Conceptual circuits can help us understand the behavior of complex electric circuits by simplifying the circuit and focusing on the key concepts of electric charge, electric fields, and the interactions between different components. This allows us to identify patterns and relationships that can help us analyze and solve more complex circuits.