Can someone assist with finding a perpendicular line in standard form?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the equation of a line perpendicular to 4x-2y+7=0 with the same y-intercept as 2x+3y-10=0. The person asking for help needs to find the slopes and y-intercepts of the two given equations and use a reference to determine the slope of the perpendicular line. They also request for step-by-step instructions rather than just the answer. The other person advises them to try to understand the process rather than just using formulas.
tamilan
I need help with this question... someone please help?

Determine the equation of the line perpindicular to 4x-2y+7=0 and having the same y-intercept 2x+3y-10=0

It would be great if you can help me out in this question!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the slopes and y-intercepts of the two equations you gave?
(Hint: put them in standard form, (either y = mx + b or Ax + By = C), from the standards forms you can easily determine the slope and intercept, look in your text).

For the slope of the pendendicular line, the two lines will be related by a transformation of their slope. You can use this reference for some ideas on how to do that.

Last edited:
can you please work out the question for me... i do not understand what your trying to tell me? I am not very good at math either, if u are generous enough to provide the steps, and not the answers - it would help me understand..

ex. Step #1:

Forula: (y2-y1)/2+(x2-x1)/2 *(1,5) and (-1,6)

then i will work out it, then tell me how to step 2 .. this will be very useful.. thank you!

This is another time you have asked for formulas that you can use mindlessly. It would be a lot better to try to understand what you are doing.

1. What is standard form in algebra?

Standard form in algebra refers to the way in which a mathematical equation is written. It is also known as "normal form" or "standardized form". In standard form, the equation is written in the format of Ax + By = C, where A, B, and C are constants and x and y are variables.

2. How do you convert an equation to standard form?

To convert an equation to standard form, you must rearrange the terms so that the variables are on one side of the equation and the constants are on the other side. The equation should be in the form of Ax + By = C. If the equation is in the form of y = mx + b, you can use the formula A = -m and B = 1 to find the values for A and B.

3. What are the advantages of using standard form in algebra?

One advantage of using standard form in algebra is that it allows for easier comparison of equations. By having the variables and constants on separate sides, it is easier to see how changing the value of one variable affects the overall equation. Additionally, standard form is useful in graphing and solving systems of equations.

4. Can negative numbers be included in standard form?

Yes, negative numbers can be included in standard form. The constants A, B, and C can be positive, negative, or zero. It is important to note that in standard form, the variable with the highest exponent is typically written first, so if there is a negative coefficient, it should be placed in front of the variable.

5. How is standard form used in real-life applications?

Standard form is commonly used in real-life applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. In economics, it can be used to represent supply and demand equations. In physics, it is used to represent equations for motion and forces. In engineering, it is used to represent equations for electrical circuits and systems. Standard form allows for these complex equations to be written in a concise and organized manner.