Planning a Winter Trip to Norway with Family of 4

• News
  • Thread starter Bladibla
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, train is the safest way, but if you're not worried about the price, then flying is also an option.
Bladibla
Me and my family (4 memebers altogether) are going off on a brief holiday to norway on boxing day. We are planning to visit just Oslo and Bergen for the winter season. So i was wondering if any of the peeps here have advice as to what to look out for, interesting stuff etc?

Also, what is the best way to get from Oslo to Bergen? I heard train is the most convenient and safest, but prices do approach 400 pounds level with 4 adults.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. MOST IMPORTANT:
The weather is ghastly in Norway at this time of the year, so be sure to pack warm clothes!

2. Oslo:
Oslo is quite small by European standards, so you can get around quite easily. Try to get hold of the "Oslo-card" (or something like that) which give you and your family free access to use of public transport and discounts in various stores.

Most galleries and museums are free of charge.

A mandatory walk is to go down the Karl Johan (the main street), which starts out in front of the Royal Palace, ambles past the National Theatre on your right hand side, the old University on the left hand side, the Parlament (the "great ting") on your right hand side (you'll meet a couple of lions dozing there), and ending up at the Central rail station, in that order (of course, you could proceed in reverse order..). If you just walk, the whole trip doesn't take more than 20 minutes.

You might want to visit the magnificent Akershus fortress (built in the 13th century or so). It ought to be open for visitors at this time.

If you're interested in sports, you could travel up to the Holmenkollen area, which has a winter sports museum and a professional ski-jumping "facility".

3. Oslo to Bergen:
You've got two realistic options:
By airplane or the railway.
Boat is not an option, and renting a car and trying to get there on your own will most likely get you snowed down in the middle of nowhere (in the mountain regions in between). Not very fun..

Airplane fares aren't a lot more expensive than train fares, so check out the price levels!

4. Bergen:
The whole of Bergen is a sight.

Beautiful place, Bergen. I went diving once over there at this time of the year (now, THAT is a crazy idea), about 10 years ago. However, if you can avoid Bergen by car, that's a good thing. I remember driving 20km/h on very slippery roads in the nearby mountains, it was a very dangerous experience.
Also, I think there was a quite heavy tax on driving into the city - I don't know if that's still the case.

vanesch said:
Also, I think there was a quite heavy tax on driving into the city - I don't know if that's still the case.
About 1 pound sterling. Same as in Oslo.

Bladibla said:
Me and my family (4 memebers altogether) are going off on a brief holiday to norway on boxing day. We are planning to visit just Oslo and Bergen for the winter season. So i was wondering if any of the peeps here have advice as to what to look out for, interesting stuff etc?
Also, what is the best way to get from Oslo to Bergen? I heard train is the most convenient and safest, but prices do approach 400 pounds level with 4 adults.
Cheers!

Make sure you take a LOT of money. Norway is very expensive :-) Nice place but so very overpriced. I was there about a month ago. If you have heard of the Big Mac scale. Well I paid 28E for 2 big mac menus!

I just love the fact that I can log in and talk with people from England, Norway, France, and Brussels, all in one thread, and while sitting in a converted barn, in a pasture. :biggrin:

Cheers for all the information all. Another question: What the temperature like in Bergen and Oslo now? And would train be considered the safest way from oslo to bergen?

Bladibla said:
Cheers for all the information all. Another question: What the temperature like in Bergen and Oslo now? And would train be considered the safest way from oslo to bergen?
Today, the temperature in Oslo is a couple of degrees below zero (Celsius, that is).

It should be about the same in Bergen, but remember that presence of wind will make the "effective temperature" a lot lower. Bergen in particular might suffer from "windiness", but don't count on the weather staying calm in Oslo either.

Airplane is equally safe as train as transport, and not a lot more expensive.

Anttech said:
Make sure you take a LOT of money. Norway is very expensive :-) Nice place but so very overpriced. I was there about a month ago. If you have heard of the Big Mac scale. Well I paid 28E for 2 big mac menus!
I think it is great that rubbish is over-priced here! :smile:

On the other hand, our electricity is a lot cheaper than yours. So there.

I think it is great that rubbish is over-priced here!
On the other hand, our electricity is a lot cheaper than yours. So there.
LOL is it? never lived there so wouldn't know :smile:
For one of largest producers of oil (all stolen of the socts hehe) your petrol prices weren't any cheaper.
WShat I did notice is that clothes weren't too bad, they were more expensive but not too much...
come on join the EU and get rid of that Kroner crap :smile: hehe at least your fish will be competative again...
Its funny one of my good friends from here (Brussels) is Norweigen, but he landed a Job in the UN, to help develop Malawi. Now imagine that going from the prices of Norway to the prices of Malawi :-).. He bought a bed for 5E!

Rock&water are also cheap in Norway! :smile:

Snow as well! :smile:

And ice! :smile:

And freezes&sneezes..:grumpy:

Awful country I live in, actually.

hehe... not so bad.. Rich place.. but give me the med any day of the week :-)

Have a nice trip, Bladibla!
Be careful not to catch a cold.

arildno said:
Today, the temperature in Oslo is a couple of degrees below zero (Celsius, that is).
It should be about the same in Bergen, but remember that presence of wind will make the "effective temperature" a lot lower. Bergen in particular might suffer from "windiness", but don't count on the weather staying calm in Oslo either.
Airplane is equally safe as train as transport, and not a lot more expensive.

Awesome information. Thanks for that. If you won't mind, another question: Would it be reasonable weather nowadays to see the fjords in clear view? or would it be an effective iceberg only land over there? (not that its a bad thing)

Fjords are hardly ever frozen over.
You'll see your first one when arriving in Oslo. :smile:

From the Akershus fortress, you'll get a beatiful view of both Oslo and its fjord.

The fjord is not ringed in by high mountains like those in Western Norway; it shouldn't be too difficult to get a trip to some of those from Bergen as well, although the most spectacular ones, like the Geiranger Fjord is a bit far to the north of Bergen (I think..)

Just in torque airport atm writing this nessage. Had a nice trip around bergen and Oslo. Ill try to post some pictures and proper sayings after i arrive back in the UK.

Cheers.

I hope you enjoyed yourself! :smile:

arildno said:
I hope you enjoyed yourself! :smile:

Yeah, it was a nice trip. (The pictures still yet to come..) Me, my bro and mom and dad arrived in Oslo on the 27th, about 2:00 in the morning. Took the 'torp ekpress' to central oslo, arriving at the central bus terminal about 2 hours later.

Checking in our hotel, the next day, we checked out the the sights: the cathedral/chruch, the University of Oslo, and other stuff. (ill mention more as soon as the photos come up). One other thing i noticed is how COLD Oslo is compared to london, -6 degrees vs +7 degrees. Still, it was managable.

Bergen. The 7 hour trip from Oslo to Bergen was lots of mountains, snow, snow, and snow. awesome sights.

1. What are the best activities to do during a winter trip to Norway with a family of 4?

Some popular activities during a winter trip to Norway with a family of 4 include skiing, snowboarding, dog sledding, and viewing the Northern Lights. You can also visit Christmas markets, explore traditional Norwegian villages, and take a scenic train ride through the snowy landscape.

2. What should we pack for a winter trip to Norway?

Be sure to pack warm, waterproof clothing, including heavy jackets, hats, gloves, and boots. It's also important to bring layers, as the weather can be unpredictable. Don't forget to pack sunscreen and sunglasses, as the sun can reflect off the snow. It's also a good idea to bring a small first aid kit and any necessary medications.

3. Are there any safety precautions we should take during a winter trip to Norway?

It's important to be aware of the weather conditions and dress appropriately. Always check the weather forecast before heading out and be prepared for potential snow storms. If participating in outdoor activities, make sure to follow safety guidelines and listen to the advice of experienced guides. It's also a good idea to have a fully charged phone and emergency contact information on hand.

4. Is it necessary to rent a car for a winter trip to Norway?

Renting a car can be a convenient option for exploring Norway, but it's not necessary. The country has an extensive public transportation system, including trains, buses, and ferries. However, if you plan on visiting more remote areas, a car may be necessary. Just be sure to research road conditions and drive carefully in snowy and icy conditions.

5. What are some budget-friendly options for a winter trip to Norway?

Norway can be an expensive destination, but there are ways to save money. Consider visiting during the off-season or booking accommodations in advance for lower prices. You can also save money by cooking your own meals or opting for budget-friendly activities like hiking or visiting free museums. It's also a good idea to research and compare prices for transportation and activities beforehand.

Back