Visitor messaging and friend profile blocks

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, visitor messaging is a feature that allows someone to add a comment or comments to one's profile page. It's similar to the facebook wall, and it's something that can be enabled in the user settings.
Visitor messaging and a friend block has been added to member profiles

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain what visitor messaging is? It's clearly something different from PMs, but I'm not sure what it does, other than I noticed the messages are rather ephemeral.

I like getting to approve friends, because it seems friendly to know someone wants to add you as a friend. Not so nice blocking them from being a friend (does that actually do anything functional, like block PMs from an undesired pest?)

visitor messaging is public and similar to the facebook wall.

If I understand the visitor messaging, it means someone can add a comment or comments to one's profile page.

Astronuc said:
If I understand the visitor messaging, it means someone can add a comment or comments to one's profile page.

There is a setting in usercp options to restrict comments to only those who you are friends with

I have been avoiding face book for the past three years of college out of principle and finally it paid off! I have a PF wall instead of a Facebook wall! Much better!:approve:

what changes when you approve someone as your friend?

Math Is Hard said:
what changes when you approve someone as your friend?

They show up in your friend's list on your profile, and according to the above, it let's them post visitor messages on your profile even if you block others. I need to play more...Greg's probably dying of laughter at my initial confusion over visitor messages as I stumbled around trying to figure out what they even were.

Moonbear said:
They show up in your friend's list on your profile, and according to the above, it let's them post visitor messages on your profile even if you block others. I need to play more...Greg's probably dying of laughter at my initial confusion over visitor messages as I stumbled around trying to figure out what they even were.

oh, ok, thanks. Feel free to test stuff out on me while you're figuring it all out.

If anyone figures out what it does, aside from what Moonbear mentioned, let me know.

You can always delete unwanted comments, supposedly.

where's the poke button?

Math Is Hard said:
where's the poke button?

:rofl: don't.. can you imagine the number of unwanted pokes people would get! "oi, this guy isn't helping me with my homework fast enough .. poke.."

cristo said:
:rofl: don't.. can you imagine the number of unwanted pokes people would get! "oi, this guy isn't helping me with my homework fast enough .. poke.."

:rofl: Good point!

Ah, so that's what's up. You know, I should check my messages and notifications more often. There was a couple PMs from April that I never even noticed.

Seems like a cool idea, I guess. I don't spend much time on Facebook or MySpace, etc., so I was wondering ...

I'm not sure whether this was intentional or not, but it seems that non-contributors are now able to set profile pictures.

I noticed that. Apparently there are a lot of "features" that we are unaware of and a few that need to be fixed.

Math Is Hard said:
oh, ok, thanks. Feel free to test stuff out on me while you're figuring it all out.

May I use you as a test bed also ??:devil::biggrin::blushing:, not knowing what things do , I have been so reluctant to try them.

RonL

RonL said:
May I use you as a test bed also ??:devil::biggrin::blushing:, not knowing what things do , I have been so reluctant to try them.

RonL

Sure, no problem. :smile:

1. What is visitor messaging and friend profile blocks?

Visitor messaging and friend profile blocks are features on social media platforms that allow users to leave comments or messages on other users' profiles. These messages or comments are visible to anyone who visits the profile.

2. How do I enable visitor messaging on my profile?

The process for enabling visitor messaging varies depending on the social media platform. Generally, you can find the option to enable visitor messaging in your account settings or privacy settings. Make sure to read the platform's guidelines and terms of service before enabling this feature.

3. Can I control who can leave messages on my profile?

Yes, most social media platforms allow users to control who can leave messages on their profile. This can be done by adjusting your privacy settings or by manually approving each message before it appears on your profile.

4. Are there any risks associated with visitor messaging?

As with any online communication, there are some risks associated with visitor messaging. It is important to be cautious when interacting with strangers and to never share personal information on your profile. It is also recommended to regularly review and delete any messages that may be inappropriate or spam.

5. Can I block someone from leaving messages on my profile?

Yes, most social media platforms allow you to block specific users from leaving messages on your profile. This can be done by going to the user's profile and selecting the option to block them. You can also report any abusive or harassing messages to the platform's support team for further action.