How to find the limits of integration for a metal ring drilled through a sphere?

In summary, a manufacturer drills a hole through the center of a metal sphere of radius 5 inches, with the hole having a radius of 3 inches. The volume of the resulting metal ring can be found by using the equation x^2 + y^2 = 25 and substituting y = 3 to determine the limits of integration, which are x = +- 4. This can be visualized by looking at the center cross-section of the sphere and using the resulting semi-circle to generate the solid. Plugging in y = 5 would mean the entire sphere was drilled.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

A manufacturer drills a hole through the center of a metal sphere of radius 5 inches. The hole has a radius of 3 inches. What is the volume of the resulting metal ring?

Solution:

You can imagine the ring to be generated by a segment of the circle who equation is x^2 + y^2 = 25. Because the radius of the hole is 3 inches, you can let y = 3 and solve the equation x^2 + y^2 = 25 to determine that the limits of integration are x = +- 4 . So, the inner and outer radii are r(x) = 3 and R(x) = sqrt(25-x^2).

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 = r^2 (Standard Form of A Circle)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an example problem in my textbook, Calculus 8th Edition by Larson (pg. 461 Section 7.2)

My fundamental question: How did they find the limits of integration by substituting 3 with y?

I just don't see how plugging in the inner radius (y = 3) into the equation of a circle would find the limits of integration? I can see how in a 2D circle, x has solutions when it is -4 and 4...but why couldn't we plug in radius (y = 5) in instead of 3?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, take the center corss section of the sphere and look at the top half of it. It will look like a semi-circle with radius 5 correct? (y = sqrt(25-x^2))

Now the sphere was drilled and the resulting hole has a radius of 3. So now the bottom half of the semi-circle is now removed and the semi-cricle is sitting 3 inches away form the x-axis. Can you visualize this? I wish I could show you a diagram...

By substituting y = 3 into the circle equation, you will find where the line intersects with the semi-circle. This will give you the end points of the semi-circle and thse end points define the limits of integration.

I don't know if this helped answer your question.

You have draw it out to understand the solution. Draw the equation of the circle and the line y=3. Without the line you can see that the volume of the sphere can be generated by revolving the semicircle about the x-axis. You should see that the volume of solid generated by rotating the graph from the top of the circle to the line y=3 is the remaining solid.

Plugging in y=5 would mean that the entire sphere was drilled (destroyed).

Thank you both!

Before, what I was doing was:

1.) Drawing a circle whose center is on (0,5) instead of the origin (0,0). I thought the only way to create a sphere is if the whole circle was above the x-axis (though, I will learn later that a semi-circle is enough to make the sphere with radius 5.

Basically, I followed your methods: the top semicircle is defined by y = sqrt(25-x^2) and the "hole" will be drilled at y = 3 (and y = -3... radius is still equal to 3).

Anyway, focusing on one semi circle...to find the limits of integrations, you must equate the two equations (y = sqrt(25-x^2) and y = 3)... which the solution is x = +- 4.

Thank you. The book's interpretation was far more complicated than you two's.

FAQ: How to find the limits of integration for a metal ring drilled through a sphere?

1. What is the disk method for finding volume?

The disk method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves slicing the solid into thin disks and finding the volume of each disk, then adding up the volumes of all the disks to get the total volume of the solid.

2. When is the disk method typically used?

The disk method is typically used when finding the volume of a solid that is rotated around a horizontal or vertical axis. It is commonly used in calculus and geometry to solve problems involving finding the volume of objects with curved surfaces.

3. What is the difference between the disk method and the shell method?

The disk method and the shell method are both used to find the volume of a solid of revolution. The main difference between the two is that the disk method slices the solid into disks perpendicular to the axis of rotation, while the shell method slices the solid into cylindrical shells parallel to the axis of rotation. Both methods can be used to find the same volume, but the approach and calculations may differ.

4. What are the required inputs for using the disk method?

The required inputs for using the disk method are the function that defines the shape of the solid, the limits of integration, and the axis of rotation. The function should be in terms of the variable of integration and the limits should be specified in terms of that variable. The axis of rotation can be either horizontal or vertical.

5. Can the disk method be applied to any shape?

No, the disk method can only be applied to shapes that can be rotated around a horizontal or vertical axis. It is most commonly used for finding the volume of cones, cylinders, and spheres, as well as more complex shapes such as paraboloids and hyperboloids.