Volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a sphere with a cylindrical hole drilled into it and finding the volume of the remaining solid. The problem was solved using both cylindrical and spherical coordinates, with the correct answer being 4π·3^(7/2). The discrepancy in the answer was due to the bounds of integration in spherical coordinates being incorrect, but was resolved by changing the bounds to 0 to π/3 and multiplying the integral by 2. The importance of being careful with the volume element being positive in certain coordinate systems was also mentioned.
Thomas Kieffer

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius 6 has a cylindrical hole of radius 3 drilled into it. What is the volume of the remaining solid.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am able to solve this using cylindrical coordinates but I'm having trouble when I try to solve it in spherical coordinates. the correct answer is ##4\pi\cdot 3^{7/2}## however I get ##4\pi\cdot 3^{3/2}##. The problem is with the bounds of the integration, I checked my working with wolfram.

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{-\pi/3}^{\pi/3} \int_{3/sin(\theta)}^{6} r^2sin(\theta)dr d\theta d\phi$$

The first two bounds are obvious. phi ranges the entire circle and theta ranges from the intersects of the edge of the sphere and the drill. The bounds of r I found by converting from Cartesian to polar coordinates. Obviously the upper bound is six.

Converting from cartesian
$$x^2 + y^2 = 9 \qquad r^2sin^2(\theta) (sin^2(\phi) + cos^2(\phi))= 9$$
$$r = 3/sin(\theta)$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas Kieffer said:

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius 6 has a cylindrical hole of radius 3 drilled into it. What is the volume of the remaining solid.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am able to solve this using cylindrical coordinates but I'm having trouble when I try to solve it in spherical coordinates. the correct answer is ##4\pi\cdot 3^{7/2}## however I get ##4\pi\cdot 3^{3/2}##. The problem is with the bounds of the integration, I checked my working with wolfram.

$$\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{-\pi/3}^{\pi/3} \int_{3/sin(\theta)}^{6} r^2sin(\theta)dr d\theta d\phi$$

The first two bounds are obvious. phi ranges the entire circle and theta ranges from the intersects of the edge of the sphere and the drill. The bounds of r I found by converting from Cartesian to polar coordinates. Obviously the upper bound is six.

Converting from cartesian
$$x^2 + y^2 = 9 \qquad r^2sin^2(\theta) (sin^2(\phi) + cos^2(\phi))= 9$$
$$r = 3/sin(\theta)$$

Your ##\theta## limits look wrong. ##\theta## is supposed to be in the range ##0## to ##\pi##.

Dick said:
Your ##\theta## limits look wrong. ##\theta## is supposed to be in the range ##0## to ##\pi##.
Why? That's definitely not correct.

Thomas Kieffer said:
Why? That's definitely not correct.

Then you are mixing up different conventions for spherical coordinates. You quoted the volume element as ##r^2 \sin(\theta)##. That's negative for ##\theta=-\pi/3##. The volume element shouldn't be negative anywhere.

The change of coordinates I used was. I don't think I'm mixing up my convention. I also don't understand why the volume element has to be positive.

##x=rcos\phi sin\theta##
##x=rsin\phi sin\theta##
##z=rcos\theta##

If you work through the integral you find
##\int_{0}^{2\pi} [-72 cos\theta]^{\pi/3}_{-pi/3} + [9cot\theta]^{\pi/3}_{-pi/3} d\phi##

And the ##-72cos\theta## must cancel out so the bounds must be a=-b . With the bounds I have I get an answer that is exactly 1/9th the correct answer.

Last edited:
Thomas Kieffer said:
I changed the bounds to 0 to pi/3 and multiplied the integral by 2 and now I get the right answer. Thanks. So I need to be careful whenever I'm finding volumes or surface area that the volume element/ surface element is always positive?

No, you don't need to be careful. In your chosen coordinates the volume element should ALWAYS be positive. In my convention, ##\theta## is the angle between between the point and the positive ##z## axis. So it starts at ##0## and goes to ##\pi## at the negative ##z## axis. I changed the ##\theta## range to ##\pi/6## to ##5\pi/6## and got the right answer.

Likes Thomas Kieffer
Dick said:
No, you don't need to be careful. In your chosen coordinates the volume element should ALWAYS be positive. In my convention, ##\theta## is the angle between between the point and the positive ##z## axis. So it starts at ##0## and goes to ##\pi## at the negative ##z## axis. I changed the ##\theta## range to ##\pi/6## to ##5\pi/6## and got the right answer.

I thought the angle was relative to the xy plane. Thanks for your help.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius of the sphere and h is the height of the cylinder.

How is the volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates different from the traditional formula for volume of a sphere?

The traditional formula for volume of a sphere (V = 4/3πr^3) is based on Cartesian coordinates, while the cylindrical coordinates formula takes into account the height of the sphere within the cylinder.

What are the units of measurement for the volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates?

The units of measurement for the volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates will depend on the units used for the radius (r) and height (h) values in the formula. For example, if the radius is measured in meters and the height is measured in centimeters, the volume will be in cubic meters.

How can the volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates be visualized?

The volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates can be visualized as a sphere inside a cylinder, with the height of the sphere equal to the height of the cylinder. The radius of the sphere will also be equal to the radius of the cylinder.

Are there any real-world applications for the volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, the volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, manufacturing, and architecture. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a water tank or the capacity of a cylindrical container.