Degree choice: Is IT and Science just too hard to even bother?

In summary, the individual is struggling to choose their degree course and is afraid of failing in IT or science due to their difficulty with math. They are considering sticking with humanities and question if it's worth attempting to take IT or science courses. Their A Levels include History, Government and Politics, and Maths with an AS in Business. They received a B in Maths and are unsure of their potential in IT with their current math skills. They also mention their teacher's perspective on IT and science careers being for "really really smart people."
MeredithWolfe
Hello ..
I'm currently trying to choose my degree course and I'm having difficulty in knowing what to do. I know this will sound stupid but I'm terrified of taking IT and/or Science in University and failing in it. Technology in particular because Maths is hard to me and many if not all IT courses requires one to actually have at least a strong interest in the subject.

Should I just stick with humanities? Is it even worth attempting to take any of those subjects when the chance of failure is high? No offence to anyone but my Maths teacher made a career in IT and Science sound like something only for really really smart people

Thank you for any and all answers/information you provide.

Edit: I realize I should have included my subjects in A Level.
History, Government and Politics and Maths with an AS in Business

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums!

MeredithWolfe said:
Should I just stick with humanities? Is it even worth attempting to take any of those subjects when the chance of failure is high?

I don't know what you're expecting people to say..? It's a personal thing. How much work would you be willing to put in? Success in science needs some smarts, but you don't need to be a genius. Hard work can go a long way in the sciences.

MeredithWolfe said:

How did your maths A level go? No AS levels in any sciences?

How bad do you want it?

fasterthanjoao said:
How did your maths A level go? No AS levels in any sciences?

Thanks.

Sorry, I was sort of talking to myself there rather than it being an actual question.

ABB.
B in Maths

MeredithWolfe said:
Hello ..
I'm currently trying to choose my degree course and I'm having difficulty in knowing what to do. I know this will sound stupid but I'm terrified of taking IT and/or Science in University and failing in it. Technology in particular because Maths is hard to me and many if not all IT courses requires one to actually have at least a strong interest in the subject.

Should I just stick with humanities? Is it even worth attempting to take any of those subjects when the chance of failure is high? No offence to anyone but my Maths teacher made a career in IT and Science sound like something only for really really smart people

Thank you for any and all answers/information you provide.

Edit: I realize I should have included my subjects in A Level.
I don't think IT requires much math. But computer science does.

Although I must admit I've never done IT.

Anyway, if you're not good at math, I would avoid the physical sciences. And I think most life and social science program require you to take stats. Which probably isn't as bad.

B in Maths is good! You would have to try very hard to fail an IT degree with that set of marks. In any case - do what you're interested in. You only live once! I used to teach History graduates on an MSc IT conversion course and they didn't suffer much through lack of Maths skills (and I doubt any had a B at A level!) I've spent most of my career working in, or near, IT, and they certainly aren't, in general, the brightest people I've ever met. Some are. But most aren't - it doesn't take a genius IQ to nurse a UNIX server...

FAQ: Degree choice: Is IT and Science just too hard to even bother?

1. Is IT and Science a difficult degree to pursue?

It depends on your individual strengths and interests. Some may find it challenging, while others may excel in these fields. It is important to have a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills to succeed in IT and Science.

2. What are the career prospects for IT and Science graduates?

There are numerous career opportunities in both IT and Science fields, including software development, data analysis, research, and more. The demand for skilled professionals in these areas is constantly growing, making it a promising career path.

3. How does IT and Science overlap?

IT and Science have a close relationship, as technology is heavily used in scientific research and data analysis. In addition, many scientific fields require the use of software and programming to analyze and interpret data.

4. What skills are necessary for success in IT and Science?

Strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, attention to detail, and mathematical proficiency are all essential for success in IT and Science. Additionally, having a passion for these subjects and being willing to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies is crucial.

5. Are there any specific IT or Science specializations to consider?

There are a variety of specializations within both IT and Science, such as computer science, bioinformatics, data science, and more. It is important to research and explore these options to find the one that aligns with your interests and career goals.