What Can I Do Science/Math Related While Working on Undergrad Degree?

Ascendant0
I only have my AA so far (working towards physics degree), but I would like to start changing directions career-wise. I'm completely burnt out on my current field (went through several careers over the years, but lately, it's been sales, and I HATE sales, just good at it). I would love to do some type of work that is somehow related to physics. I know I still have SO much to learn, but just something basic for now. Even things involving math, not necessarily science itself. Just something work-wise that gets me working on things that are at least somewhat related to physics that I could work my way into for now.

Not sure if maybe there's something one of you have heard of that you can get qualified for quickly, like some type of certification or the like that I could get while I work on finishing my degree? Been racking my brain, and the only thing I can think of would be working in a bank (math-related), but without prior experience in it, getting my foot in the door with it is proving to be a bit of a pain. If anyone has any other suggestions to add, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing that comes to mind is Electrical Engineering Technician, but that is a 2-year AA degree at least. Unless you have some other EE Tech experience that could help you get that job now...

Ascendant0 said:
and I HATE sales,
Then you probably should not become a PI. That job is sales. You are selling your ideas to funding sources, you are selling them to peers, and you are selling them to administrators.

Do you have skills that a typical undergrtaduate does not? Otherwise, you will be competing for the same jobs as them, and the university will pressure/incentivize the PI to hire undergrads before looking outside.

Ascendant0 said:
I only have my AA so far (working towards physics degree), but I would like to start changing directions career-wise. I'm completely burnt out on my current field (went through several careers over the years, but lately, it's been sales,
Not sure if maybe there's something one of you have heard of that you can get qualified for quickly, like some type of certification or the like that I could get while I work on finishing my degree? Been racking my brain, and the only thing I can think of would be working in a bank (math-related), but without prior experience in it, getting my foot in the door with it is proving to be a bit of a pain. ....
We're missing some key info here.

(1) What was your AA degree in?

(2) You say you are working towards a physics degree, but you are currently working in sales. What is the split? Are you enrolled in a community college, taking some online courses, or what? What technical experience do you have (programming, electrical, plumbing, construction, ...)?

Vanadium 50 said:
Then you probably should not become a PI. That job is sales. You are selling your ideas to funding sources, you are selling them to peers, and you are selling them to administrators.

Do you have skills that a typical undergrtaduate does not? Otherwise, you will be competing for the same jobs as them, and the university will pressure/incentivize the PI to hire undergrads before looking outside.
@Vanadium 50 , there is a big difference between working sales in a retail environment (which I assume is what the OP is working in at the moment, given their post) and selling your ideas to funding sources as a PI.