Static and kinetic friction involving velocity

In summary, the baggage handler drops a 7.00 kg suitcase onto a conveyor belt moving at 2.30 m/s. The suitcase drags for 0.410 seconds before it rides smoothly. The attempt at a solution is to use the work-energy theorem to find the change in kinetic energy and the change in potential energy. The final answer is .5(7)(0)-.5(7)(2.3^2)= (.250)(7)(-9.81)d.
enrijuan

Homework Statement

A baggage handler drops your 7.00 kg suitcase onto a conveyor belt running at 2.30 m/s. The materials are such that µS= 0.410 and µK= 0.250.

Homework Equations

How far is your suitcase dragged before it is riding smoothly on the belt?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know f=µS(Fn) and doesn't apply once sliding occurs. I also know that F=ma.

I really have no idea how to begin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi enrijuan! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)

hint: the variables you have or want are F (force) and d (distance), so you can use … ? :smile:

I know that force over distance is work but I don't see how that would help me in this problem... I am sorry I am having a hard time with this one... I also know that d= vt

enrijuan said:
I know that force over distance is work but I don't see how that would help me in this problem...

i assume you meant force times distance is work?

(never use "over" that way in maths or physics! :redface:)

ok, now use the work-energy theorem …

work done = change in mechanical energy :smile:

doesnt the conservation of mechanical energy talk about potential and kinetic energy?
I don't understand how I would get potential energy or how work would help me in the problem.

enrijuan said:
doesnt the conservation of mechanical energy talk about potential and kinetic energy?
I don't understand how I would get potential energy or how work would help me in the problem.

yes, mechanical energy is KE plus PE, but the work-energy theorem applies even if the PE is zero (or doesn't change) …

(btw, this isn't conservation of mechanical energy … mechanical energy is lost when there's friction :wink:)

in this case, work done = change in KE + change in PE

= change in KE + 0 :smile:

so,
work done= (7.00 kg)(2.3 m/s) + 0?

then work done =18.515 J
then 18.515=(force due to kinetic friction)(distance)?

enrijuan said:
so,
work done= (7.00 kg)(2.3 m/s) + 0?

then work done =18.515 J
then 18.515=(force due to kinetic friction)(distance)?

you''re very confused :confused:

on the LHS you need work done, which as you say is (force due to kinetic friction)(distance)

(the distance is the unknown that you have to find)

on the RHS you need the change in KE, which is … ? :smile:

oh the end velocity is goin to be zero right?
so,
1/2mvf2-1/2mvi2=W

1/2mvf2-1/2mvi2 = (µmg)(d)

is this right?

then,
.5(7)(0)-.5(7)(2.3^2)= (.250)(7)(-9.81)d ?

then d=1.08 meters ?

enrijuan said:
oh the end velocity is goin to be zero right?

actually, not in this case …

the question has deliberately put it the other way round, with the initial speed being zero, and the final speed being the same as that of the belt! :smile:

(of course, it doesn't make any difference to the size of the change :wink:)
so,
1/2mvf2-1/2mvi2=W

1/2mvf2-1/2mvi2 = (µmg)(d)

is this right?
enrijuan said:
then,
.5(7)(0)-.5(7)(2.3^2)= (.250)(7)(-9.81)d ?

then d=1.08 meters ?

yes! :smile:

(though you could have canceled every m in the equation, and saved yourself multiplying by all those 7s! :wink:)

wow thank you so much! thanks for the welcome, the µ, the help, and above all the patience!

FAQ: Static and kinetic friction involving velocity

1. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the movement of two objects that are in contact with each other and are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the movement of two objects that are already in motion.

2. How is static friction affected by the velocity of an object?

The force of static friction remains constant regardless of the velocity of the object. This means that as long as the object is not moving, the force of static friction will not change.

3. Does kinetic friction increase with velocity?

Yes, the force of kinetic friction increases with velocity. As the velocity of the object increases, the force of kinetic friction also increases. This is because there is more contact between the two surfaces, resulting in a greater resistance to movement.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how easily two surfaces slide against each other. A higher coefficient of friction means that the two surfaces have a stronger resistance to movement, resulting in a greater force of friction.

5. Can the direction of frictional force change?

No, the direction of frictional force always acts in the opposite direction of the movement of the object. This means that as the object moves, the direction of the frictional force will remain constant, always opposing the motion of the object.