Coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley

In summary: The direction of static friction is in the same direction as the force of gravity, which is downwards.
marsupial

Homework Statement

A block of mass ## M_1 ## is on an inclined plane (the plane is inclined at 30 degrees), and is attached with a light cord over a light, frictionless pulley to another mass ## M_2 ##. ## M_1 ## is fixed at 5.00kg, and ## M_2 ## can be varied.

When ## M_2 = 3.20 kg ##, ## M_1 ## just begins to slide up the slope, acclerating at ## 0.20 m/s^2 ##.

Determine the coefficients of static and kinetic friction between ## M_1 ## and the plane.

Homework Equations

## F_{fr_static} = \mu (static) F_N ##
## F_{fr_kinetic} = \mu (kinetic) F_N ##
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

After resolving the components of mg into x, and y: ## F_N = y = 5.00gCos30 = 42.435244 N ##
The component of mg in the x direction: mgsin30 = 24.5N

To determine the coefficient of static friction, there must be no net horizontal force. I am not sure of this, but I am wondering if I just ignore the pulley and the mass at the end to calculate the static friction coefficient? But then that assumes that it will sit on the plane without sliding down, and I am not sure if I should make that assumption.

If I did make that assumption, and ignored the pulley for the moment, then:
## F_{fr} - 5.00gsin30 = 0 --> \mu F_N = 24.5 --> \mu (static) = 24.5/42.43 = 0.577 ##

To determine the coefficient of kinetic friction:
## net F_x = 3.20 * 0.20 ##
## F_{tension} - F_{fr_kinetic} - F_{mg-xcomponent} = 3.20 * 0.2 ##
## F_{tension} = 3.20g ##
## F_{fr_kinetic} = (F_{tension} - F_{mg-xcomponent})/ (3.20 * 0.2) ##
## F_{fr_kinetic} = (3.20g - 24.5)/ (3.20 * 0.2) = 10.71875 ##
## \mu (kinetic) = F_{fr_kinetic} / F_N = 10.71875/ 42.435244 = 0.253 ##

I'm not sure in particular about the coefficient of static friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can assume the tension is 3.20 x g.
The tension in the rope reduces when the system accelerates.
Analyze the motion of M2 to determine the tension in the rope.

## mg - F_{tension} = 0.20 * 3.2 --> F_{tension} = 3.2g - 0.64 = 30.72 ##

Is this right? Also, was I right in my assumptions with the static friction coefficient?

marsupial said:
## mg - F_{tension} = 0.20 * 3.2 --> F_{tension} = 3.2g - 0.64 = 30.72 ## Is this right ?

Correct .

marsupial said:
Also, was I right in my assumptions with the static friction coefficient?

No . You cannot ignore the mass at the end . You also need to take tension into account .

Have you copied the question correctly ? I am finding the data inconsistent . I might be wrong but it would be nice if you could check the question .

Likes marsupial
Vibhor, the question is correct

Ok . Let us first deal with static friction case .

What are the forces acting on M1 along the plane ? What would be the direction of static friction ? Can you resolve the forces along the inclined plane and use Newton's II Law ? Please use symbols . Do not put any numbers .

Regarding taking the tension into account, given the mass is variable, and that it begins to move at 3.20kg, then ## F_{tension} < 3.2g ##. That seems an imprecise way of expressing it.

Just saw your follow-up post Vibhor.

## F_{tension} + F_{fr-static} - F_{mg-x} = 0 ##
## m_2 g + \mu m_1 g cos30 - m_1 g sin 30 = 0 ##
## \mu = (m_1 g sin30 - m_2g) / m_1 g cos30 ##
## \mu = tan30 - (m_2/m_1cos30) ##

But I don't know what to do about m_2 as it is varied, and all I think we can say about the max mass before it moves is that it is less than 3.2. But how much less? 3.1, 3.1999?

Forget about M2 being variable . Think that when M2 = 3.2 Kg M1 just starts moving up the slope . In other words , When M2 =3.2 Kg , M1 and M2 are as good as not moving . You can treat them as in equilibrium . But once M1 and M2 start moving , things change ( we will deal with it later in kinetic friction case). They will no more be in equilibrium .

So for the case of static friction , consider M1 and M2 to be in equilibrium and apply Newton's II law .

Just write the equation in terms of symbols T , M1 , M2 , g , θ , μs .

Likes marsupial
Like I did? (albeit with 30 instead of theta and m2 g instead of T)

marsupial said:
Like I did? (albeit with 30 instead of theta and m2 g instead of T)

What would be the direction of friction ?

I thought it would be in the same direction as ## F_T ##, given it is opposing the x component of mg

marsupial said:
I thought it would be in the same direction as ## F_T ##, given it is opposing the x component of mg

Static friction acts so as to oppose the (potential) relative motion between the surfaces in contact . If there were no friction between M1 and the plane , in which direction would M1 be moving , up the slope or down the slope ?

Likes marsupial
That would depend on the mass of M2 wouldn't it? M2 at 3.2, and it moves up the slope (so in this case friction would go in the direction of mg_x). I am not sure if it would in any instance slide down the slope.

marsupial said:
That would depend on the mass of M2 wouldn't it? M2 at 3.2, and it moves up the slope (so in this case friction would go in the direction of mg_x). I am not sure if it would in any instance slide down the slope.

What is mg_x ? I do not understand the notation .

It is the x component of m1 * g

marsupial said:
It is the x component of m1 * g

And what is the x direction :smile: ?

the horizontal of the incline. The direction of the x component of mg is down the incline.

Ok . So now do you see what is the error in post#7 ?

Sure, it should be: ## F_T - F_{fr-static} - F_{x-mg} = 0 ##

## m_2 g - \mu m_1 g cos30 - m_1 g sin 30 = 0 ##
## \mu = (m_2 g - m_1 gsin30)/ m_1 g cos30 ##
## \mu = (m_2/m_1cos30) - tan30 ##
## \mu = 3.2/(5cos30) - tan30 = 0.162 ##

Is the rest okay?

marsupial said:
Sure, it should be: ## F_T - F_{fr-static} - F_{x-mg} = 0 ##

## m_2 g - \mu m_1 g cos30 - m_1 g sin 30 = 0 ##
## \mu = (m_2 g - m_1 gsin30)/ m_1 g cos30 ##
## \mu = (m_2/m_1cos30) - tan30 ##
## \mu = 3.2/(5cos30) - tan30 = 0.162 ##

Correct .

marsupial said:
Is the rest okay?
"rest" what ?

The way I worked out the kinetic coefficient above.

marsupial said:
The way I worked out the kinetic coefficient above.

It is incorrect . Once the masses start moving tension is not equal to M2g .

I know, I meant the process. Recalculated with the tension taking into account
## F_{tension} =3.2g−0.64 ##, ## \mu = 0.229 ##

marsupial said:
I know, I meant the process. Recalculated with the tension taking into account
## F_{tension} =3.2g−0.64 ##, ## \mu = 0.229 ##

Tension is correct but I get a different value of ## \mu ## . As a sanity check , coefficient of static friction is greater than coefficient of kinetic friction i.e ##μ_s≥μ_k ##

marsupial said:
## net F_x = 3.20 * 0.20 ##
## F_{tension} - F_{fr_kinetic} - F_{mg-xcomponent} = 3.20 * 0.2 ##
## F_{tension} = 3.20g ##
## F_{fr_kinetic} = (F_{tension} - F_{mg-xcomponent})/ (3.20 * 0.2) ##
## F_{fr_kinetic} = (3.20g - 24.5)/ (3.20 * 0.2) = 10.71875 ##
## \mu (kinetic) = F_{fr_kinetic} / F_N = 10.71875/ 42.435244 = 0.253 ##

Wrong . I know you have replaced value of tension from 31.36 to 30.72 . But It is still wrong . Not only is equation wrong but you have also made algebra mistakes . How has ##(3.20 * 0.2)## slipped into the denominator :rolleyes: ?

Please use Newton's II law separately for the two masses . Work with symbols . Do not plug numbers too soon . You might not require value of tension at all in your final calculation :smile: .

Last edited:
Likes marsupial
Vibhor said:
Wrong . I know you have replaced value of tension from 31.36 to 30.72 . But It is still wrong . Not only is equation wrong but you have also made algebra mistakes . How has ##(3.20 * 0.2)## slipped into the denominator :rolleyes: ?

Just noticed that! Note to self, don't do physics when you're really tired!

## F_T - F_{fr} - F_{mg-x} = m_2 a ##
## m_2 g - F_T = m_2 a --> F_T = m_2 g - m_2 a ##
## F_{fr} = F_T - F_{mg-x} - m_2 a ##
## F_{fr} = m_2 g - 2 (m_2 a) - m_1 gsin30 ##
## \mu = F_{fr} / F_N ##
## \mu = (m_2 g - 2 (m_2 a) - m_1 gsin30 )/ m_1 gcos30 ##
## \mu = (3.2g - 2(3.2 * 0.2) - 5gsin30) / 5gcos30 = (31.36 - 1.28 - 24.5) / 42.4352 = 0.131 ##

Is that better?

marsupial said:
Just noticed that! Note to self, don't do physics when you're really tired!
True
marsupial said:
## F_T - F_{fr} - F_{mg-x} = m_2 a ##

Why ##m_2## ?

lol, I meant m1. Fatigue again. Nearly 1am after a long day. So, that would make it

## F_{fr} = m_2 g - m_2 a - m_1 a - m_1 gsin30 ##
## \mu = (3.2g - (3.2 * 0.2) - (5*0.2) - 5gsin30) / 5gcos30 = (31.36 - 0.64 - 1 - 24.5) / 42.4352 = 0.123 ##

marsupial said:
lol, I meant m1. Fatigue again. Nearly 1am after a long day. So, that would make it

## F_{fr} = m_2 g - m_2 a - m_1 a - m_1 gsin30 ##
## \mu = (3.2g - (3.2 * 0.2) - (5*0.2) - 5gsin30) / 5gcos30 = (31.36 - 0.64 - 1 - 24.5) / 42.4352 = 0.123 ##

Good work .

Likes marsupial
Thank you so much for your help!

1. What is the difference between coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley?

The coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley refer to the values that represent the amount of friction present between two surfaces in contact. The coefficient of kinetic friction is the value that represents the resistance between two surfaces when they are in relative motion, while the coefficient of static friction represents the resistance between two surfaces when they are at rest.

2. How are the coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley measured?

The coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley can be measured using various methods, such as the inclined plane method, the block on block method, and the pulley method. These methods involve applying a known force to the object and measuring the resulting motion or lack thereof to calculate the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley?

The coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley can be affected by various factors, such as the type of material of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the applied force, and the temperature. These factors can alter the amount of friction present between the surfaces, which in turn affects the coefficients of friction.

4. How do the coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley impact the efficiency of the system?

The coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley play a crucial role in determining the efficiency of the system. Higher coefficients of friction result in more resistance and loss of energy, thereby decreasing the efficiency of the system. Lower coefficients of friction, on the other hand, result in less resistance and loss of energy, leading to a more efficient system.

5. Can the coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley be altered?

Yes, the coefficients of kinetic and static friction in a pulley can be altered by changing the factors that affect them, such as using lubricants to reduce friction, smoothing out rough surfaces, or using materials with lower coefficients of friction. However, it is essential to note that altering these coefficients can also have other effects on the system, and careful consideration must be given before making any changes.