Housings for prototypes (electronics)

• Thread starter GregValcourt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary, the individual is working on a robot as a hobby and has completed the electronics portion. Programming is not an issue due to their professional background. However, they are struggling to find a housing solution for their PCB boards, which range in size from 3" X 2 1/2" to 5" X 7". They have considered using stackable mounting pillars or creating a backplane with edge connectors. Suggestions for finding suitable housings include Radio Shack and eBay.
GregValcourt
As my hobby, I'm working on a robot. I've got the electronics mostly done, and it works. Programming is not a problem, since I'm a professional developer. What's got me stumped is housing the PCB boards.

I've look at some products online, but I can't seem to find anything that would allow me to mount and stack several boards in a housing. I've got boards raging from 3" X 2 1/2" to 5" X 7". I'm being rough with the figures here, no matter, where do you find housing generic enough to do this?

What do you use for spacing boards of different sizes in a housing? I could probably use more than an inch of vertical spacing between boards (being able to choose custom spacings would be good).

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand the importance of finding the right housing for your prototypes. It is crucial to protect the delicate electronics and ensure they are organized and easily accessible for testing and further development.

In my experience, there are several options for housing prototypes, depending on your specific needs and budget. One option is to use off-the-shelf enclosures that are specifically designed for electronic components. These can be found online or at electronic supply stores and come in various sizes and configurations to accommodate different board sizes. They also often have customizable features such as adjustable spacing and mounting options.

Another option is to design and 3D print your own custom housing using CAD software and a 3D printer. This allows for complete customization and can be a cost-effective solution for housing multiple boards of varying sizes. Additionally, 3D printing allows for precise spacing between boards and the ability to add additional features such as cable management.

If you are looking for a more professional and durable option, you may want to consider using a prototyping service to create a custom housing for your boards. These services can provide a wide range of materials and design options to meet your specific needs.

In terms of spacing boards of different sizes within a housing, there are a few techniques that can be used. One option is to use standoffs or spacers to create space between the boards. These can be found in various sizes and materials and can be easily adjusted to fit your specific needs. Another option is to design the housing with slots or grooves to hold the boards securely in place at different heights.

In summary, there are several options available for housing prototypes, including off-the-shelf enclosures, 3D printing, and prototyping services. It is important to carefully consider your specific needs and budget when choosing the best option for your project. With the right housing, you can ensure the protection and organization of your PCB boards while also allowing for easy access and testing.

Frequently Asked Questions about Housings for Prototypes (electronics)

1. What is the purpose of a housing for a prototype?

A housing for a prototype is used to enclose and protect the electronic components of a prototype. It also provides a physical structure for the prototype to be tested and evaluated.

2. How do I choose the right housing for my prototype?

The right housing for a prototype depends on factors such as the size and shape of the prototype, the materials and components used, and the intended use of the prototype. It is important to consider these factors and consult with a housing expert for guidance.

3. Can I 3D print a housing for my prototype?

Yes, 3D printing is a popular and cost-effective method for creating custom housings for prototypes. However, the type of material used for 3D printing should be carefully chosen to ensure durability and compatibility with the electronic components.

4. What are the benefits of using a housing for my prototype?

A housing provides protection for delicate electronic components, allows for easy assembly and disassembly of the prototype, and can improve the overall aesthetic of the prototype. It also allows for easier transportation and testing of the prototype.

5. Are there any design considerations for housings for prototypes?

Yes, when designing a housing for a prototype, factors such as ventilation, accessibility for repairs and modifications, and compatibility with external components should be taken into account. It is also important to consider the manufacturing process and potential cost implications.