My favorite type of paper to work problems on

In summary, I find that I prefer paper that is yellow or green, has lines or not, and uses a mechanical pencil.
ElectroBurger
I find that I will often go out of my way to get paper that I like so that doing problems is more enjoyable. As an example, I will avoid lined white looseleaf paper and go for yellow legal pad paper or just plain computer paper instead.

Also, I have one favorite mechanical pencil that I do all of my math/physics with. Does anyone else do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.upload.ee/image/4007222/notes.jpg
+ ANYthing with ink in it. Black or blue, makes no difference, as long as it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Printer paper plain and simple. 80gr/m^2 is the one I use. I have used lighter paper used for drafts and stuff but I could see my writings on the other side too much. This interfered with the readability.
Also I use just about every pen I can find although I like some better than others.

yellow legal pad, nothing better for me

I use the backs of scrap paper that has already been printed on for something else: lab handouts, Powerpoint presentations, administrative reports, etc. I've generated a fair amount of this stuff myself, and I can always collect a new batch in the recycling bin next to the printer in one of the computer labs.

ElectroBurger said:
I find that I will often go out of my way to get paper that I like so that doing problems is more enjoyable. As an example, I will avoid lined white looseleaf paper and go for yellow legal pad paper or just plain computer paper instead.

Also, I have one favorite mechanical pencil that I do all of my math/physics with. Does anyone else do this?

My favourite paper to write on is some old squared paper from Ericsson - I'm running out though, and don't have the means to acquire more.

I'm quite particular about my pen though - Pentel black signature pen is my favourite. I now find biros are slippy on the page...

jtbell said:
I use the backs of scrap paper that has already been printed on for something else: lab handouts, Powerpoint presentations, administrative reports, etc. I've generated a fair amount of this stuff myself, and I can always collect a new batch in the recycling bin next to the printer in one of the computer labs.
I'm guessing you've probably used the back of this stuff. :wink:

163px-Bound_computer_printout.agr.jpg

BOAS

The point about slippyness is how I feel exactly- I need a good, strong, reliable point. My Zebra M-701 is the only pencil I've managed to not lose or misplace because it gives me that control.

dlgoff said:
I'm guessing you've probably used the back of this stuff. :wink:

163px-Bound_computer_printout.agr.jpg

Yep, I've used that kind of stuff. During my first ten years or so here, we had an old-style Prime "minicomputer" (size of a washing machine) with a line printer that used the wider version of the paper shown above, with green horizontal bars. I used discarded printouts for calculations, lecture notes, etc., after trimming them down to 8.5 x 11" with a big tabletop paper cutter.

ElectroBurger said:

I do prefer print sheets (so completely white) , but what I go out of my way to work with is a good pen.Nothing like a bad pen to make writing less enjoyable

Sheets with lines are useless to me as I never follow the lines when I'm writing , I'm a really messy worker so my calculations or words are all over the place in no particular order.I will start to write a calculation randomly in the lower right corner only to realize I don't have enough space so I continue it elsewhere on the sheet and stuff like that.

Strangely , I'm very comfortable in this kind of chaos.It's a similar thing in my appartment , everything is all over the place and I feel good in this environnement.Basically it's when I have to write my final copy that the OCD kicks in , as soon as there's a letter in ink I don't like the shape of I will be incapable of tolerating it and will have to write the entire paper again , so I guess that's why I prefer rough copies where I can simply scribble over the bad-looking letters/numbers.

Last edited:
I got an entire case of the green-lined computer paper a few years ago, it can't be beat. I also have looked and looked for a notebook that I am happy with, I found one, the Blueline A90 Physics notebook, can't get it in the US.

I have also been rummaging thru the recycle bin at work for paper that has been used, matter a fact, I pretty much did the entire semesters worth of chemistry homework on the back of paper I generated at work.

I like lightly-lined green computational pads - this brand, only. Every fifth line is juuuuust a bit heavier than the others, so I never have to count when sketching graphs. The surface not too smooth - it takes graphite nicely. It erases very well.

Well Dr Transport it looks like I have some good news for you: http://www.officedepot.ca/subpages/product.asp?prod=27416&dept=1365

I often use printer paper. I guess the lines on lined paper can distract from the content, and also be restricting. Unruled paper gives some amount of freedom.

I have been using cheap ball point pens, which has the advantage that I don't need to be too concerned about losing or misplacing them. However, I am considering purchasing a fountain pen. Does anyone have any recommendations?

ElectroBurger said:
Well Dr Transport it looks like I have some good news for you: http://www.officedepot.ca/subpages/product.asp?prod=27416&dept=1365

Tried it, that is the Canadian site, the US stores could not find it in their inventory. Matter a fact, the kid who looked it up for me said "what is so special about this notebook, why can't you just buy something else...", I called for the manager, complained, then left, have not been back into the store since.

MisterX said:
I often use printer paper. I guess the lines on lined paper can distract from the content, and also be restricting. Unruled paper gives some amount of freedom.

I have been using cheap ball point pens, which has the advantage that I don't need to be too concerned about losing or misplacing them. However, I am considering purchasing a fountain pen. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Lamy Safari, just bought on on Amazon last week, best reasonably priced pen out there.

What is the best type of paper for working on math problems?

The best type of paper for working on math problems is subjective, as it depends on personal preference. However, many people find that graph paper or engineering paper with grids and lines is helpful for keeping their work organized and neat.

Can I use regular lined paper for working on math problems?

Yes, you can use regular lined paper for working on math problems. However, it may not be as helpful for keeping your work organized and neat as graph or engineering paper. Additionally, it may be more difficult to draw diagrams or graphs on regular lined paper.

What is the benefit of using graph paper for working on math problems?

Graph paper has a grid of squares that can help you keep your work organized and aligned. It is also helpful for drawing diagrams and graphs, as the grid lines provide a reference for accurate measurement and placement.

What is the difference between graph paper and engineering paper?

The main difference between graph paper and engineering paper is the spacing of the grid lines. Graph paper has a grid of evenly spaced squares, while engineering paper has a grid of alternating squares and rectangles. Engineering paper is often used for more complex diagrams and technical drawings.

Can I use digital graph paper for working on math problems?

Yes, you can use digital graph paper for working on math problems. Many note-taking and drawing apps have digital graph paper templates, or you can print out your own custom graph paper. Some people find it easier to work with digital graph paper, as it allows for easy erasing and editing of work.