Bivariate poisson - probability

In summary, Bivariate Poisson probability is a statistical method used to model the probability of two related events occurring simultaneously. It is calculated using a formula that takes into account the means of the two events, their correlation, and the number of occurrences of each event. It differs from Univariate Poisson Probability, which only models a single event, and it has various applications in fields such as sports analytics and insurance. It can also be extended to multiple events using Multivariate Poisson Probability.
Milky
Let {Mi(t), t >= 0 }, i=1, 2 be independent Poisson processes with respective rates λi, i=1, 2, and set

N1(t) = M1(t) + M2(t), N2(t) = M2(t) + M3(t)

The stochastic process {(N1(t), N2(t)), t >= 0} is called a bivariate Poisson process.
(a) Find P{N1(t) = n, N2(t) = m}
(b) Find Cov (N1(t), N2(t))

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I am trying to solve this problem as follows:
(a)
P{M1(t) +M2(t) = n, M2(t) +M3(t) = m} = P{M1(t) +M2(t) = n | M2(t) +M3(t) = m} / P{ M2(t) +M3(t) = m}
which then equals by independence of M1(t) +M2(t), M2(t) + M3(t)
= P{M1(t) +M2(t) = n}P{M2(t) +M3(t) = m} / P{ M2(t) +M3(t) = m}

Now, are they independent? Or is my assumption wrong here? I'm starting to think I should condition on the value of M2(t) here, but conditioning on one of 2 variables is starting to confuse me!

AND

(b) By using the fact that:

Cov (X, Y) = E[XY] - E[X]E[Y]

(substituting in for N1(t) and N2(t))

Cov (N1(t), N2(t)) = E[N1(t)N2(t)] - E[N1(t)]E[N2(t)]

and I can get:
E[N1(t)] = E[M1(t) + M2(t)] = E[M1(t)] + E[M2(t)] = (λ1t) + (λ2t)
E[N2(t)] = E[M2(t) + M3(t)] = E[M2(t)] + E[M3(t)] = (λ2t) + (λ3t)

Is my following assumption correct?
E[N1(t)] N2(t)] = E[{M1(t) + M2(t)}{M2(t) + M3(t)}]
= E[M1(t)M2(t) + M2(t)M2(t) + M1(t)M3(t) + M2(t)M3(t)]
= E[M1(t)]E[M2(t)] + E[M2(t)]E[M2(t)] + E[M1(t)]E[M3(t)] + E[M2(t)]E[M3(t)]
= (λ1t)(λ2t) + (λ2t)(λ2t) + (λ1t)(λ3t) + (λ2t)(λ3t)

which would give me the Covariance? Or should I solve this by using the Conditional Covariance formula? I am assumming that M1(t), M2(t), and M3(t) are all independent.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach for part (a) is correct. You can use the fact that the Poisson processes are independent to calculate the probabilities.

For part (b), your approach is also correct. You can use the fact that the Poisson processes are independent to calculate the expected values. However, you should be careful with the calculation of E[N1(t)N2(t)]. It should be:

E[N1(t)N2(t)] = E[(M1(t) + M2(t))(M2(t) + M3(t))]
= E[M1(t)M2(t) + M1(t)M3(t) + M2(t)M2(t) + M2(t)M3(t)]
= E[M1(t)]E[M2(t)] + E[M1(t)]E[M3(t)] + E[M2(t)]E[M2(t)] + E[M2(t)]E[M3(t)]
= (λ1t)(λ2t) + (λ1t)(λ3t) + (λ2t)(λ2t) + (λ2t)(λ3t)

Then, you can substitute these values into the formula for Cov(N1(t), N2(t)).

1. What is Bivariate Poisson Probability?

Bivariate Poisson probability is a statistical method used to model the probability of two related events occurring simultaneously. It takes into account the number of occurrences of each event and the correlation between them.

2. How is Bivariate Poisson Probability calculated?

Bivariate Poisson Probability is calculated using the formula P(X=x, Y=y) = (λ1x * λ2y * ρxy) / (x! * y!), where λ1 and λ2 are the means of the two events, ρ is the correlation between them, and x and y are the number of occurrences of each event.

3. What is the difference between Bivariate Poisson and Univariate Poisson Probability?

Univariate Poisson Probability is used to model the probability of a single event occurring in a given time interval, whereas Bivariate Poisson Probability takes into account the probability of two related events occurring simultaneously.

4. What are the applications of Bivariate Poisson Probability?

Bivariate Poisson Probability is commonly used in sports analytics, such as predicting the number of goals scored by a team in a soccer match based on the number of shots taken and their correlation. It is also used in insurance and actuarial science to model the probability of two related events, such as car accidents and car thefts, occurring together.

5. How can Bivariate Poisson Probability be extended to more than two events?

Bivariate Poisson Probability can be extended to multiple events using Multivariate Poisson Probability. This method takes into account the correlation between multiple events and calculates the probability of all events occurring simultaneously. The formula for Multivariate Poisson Probability is similar to that of Bivariate Poisson Probability, but it includes additional variables for each event.