Significant digits in calculation

In summary, the conversation is about how many significant figures should be kept in the final answer for multiplication and division. The person suggests keeping only 1 significant figure, while the book gives a different answer of 2 significant figures. The person also mentions the possibility of keeping 3 significant figures.
php006
Hello everyone:
I am trying to figure out the how many significant figures (sf), should I keep in the final
answer for multiplication and division
1. How many hours and minutes are 20 kiloseconds?

3. for hours: 20*10e3 / 3600 = 5.5555 hrs
20 has only 1 significant figure (trailing zero doesn't count), hence the answer should have 1 sf, that means I should round answer to the single digits. my final answer is 6 hr. My book give 5.6 hr as the answer.
please let me know my approach is correct

for minutes 20*10e3 / 60 = 333.333 minutes
keep only 1 sf in the result,that leads my answer to 333 minutes
my book give 330 and the final answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Your book appears to be choosing 2 significant digits. However you could just as well choose 3 sf and still be correct. I would state what I'm using for sf, in my solution. To 3 sf, hours would be 5.56hr. If you see the answer in your book as 5.6hr, you should realize, both answers are correct.

should be 330 min

I would like to clarify that the number of significant figures (sf) in a calculation depends on the number of significant figures in the numbers being used in the calculation. In multiplication and division, the final answer should have the same number of sf as the number with the least sf. In this case, 20 has only 1 sf, so the answer should also have 1 sf. Therefore, the answer for the first question should be 6 hours, not 5.6 hours as given in your book.

Similarly, for the second question, since 20 has 1 sf, the answer should also have 1 sf. Therefore, the answer for minutes should be 330 minutes, not 333 minutes as calculated by you. It is important to note that the final answer should be rounded to the nearest significant figure, not the single digit.

I hope this clarifies your doubts and helps you understand the concept of significant figures in calculations. It is important to be consistent and accurate in using significant figures in scientific calculations as they represent the precision of the measurement and can affect the accuracy of the final result. Thank you for your question and keep up with your scientific inquiries.

1. What are significant digits?

Significant digits, also known as significant figures, are the meaningful digits in a number. They represent the accuracy or precision of a measurement or calculation.

2. How do I determine the number of significant digits in a number?

The first rule is that all non-zero digits are significant. Zeros between non-zero digits are also significant. However, zeros at the beginning of a number or at the end of a number after a decimal point are not significant. Trailing zeros at the end of a whole number may or may not be significant, depending on the context.

3. What is the significance of significant digits in calculations?

Significant digits play a crucial role in preserving the accuracy of a calculation. When performing calculations, the result should have the same number of significant digits as the measurement with the least number of significant digits. This ensures that the calculated result does not have more precision than the original data.

4. How do I round a calculated result to the correct number of significant digits?

To round a calculated result to the correct number of significant digits, count the significant digits in the original numbers used in the calculation. The result should have the same number of significant digits. If the result has more significant digits, round it to the correct number by dropping the extra digits. If the result has fewer significant digits, add zeros as needed.

5. Can I use significant digits when multiplying or dividing numbers?

Yes, significant digits also apply to multiplication and division calculations. The result should have the same number of significant digits as the measurement with the fewest significant digits. It is important to keep track of significant digits throughout the calculation to ensure accuracy.