1 significant digit but the answer doesn't make sense

• Thread starter john merrick
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of determining the correct amount of significant digits in a solution. It is suggested to use either 425Hz or 430Hz, but there is concern about being marked incorrect for not using the correct significant digits. There is also discussion about the error in the speed of sound and how it affects the final answer. It is concluded that it is important to consider the uncertainties in measurements when determining significant digits.
john merrick
Homework Statement
A train on a straight track sounds a 400 Hz horn when passing a parked car on
the road. The train is moving at 20 m/s and the temperature is 10°C. Find the
apparent frequency of the horn for a person sitting inside the car when the train
is approaching and when the train is moving away
Relevant Equations
no equation
my problem is not how you get the answer... 425.16Hz for approaching. it has to be do the right amount of significant digits.

so it should be 1 significant digit which would mean 400hz. which would make no sense since i started with 400hz.

i'm assuming they should have written the question with a decimal after one of the numbers so you would be looking at 2 or 3 significant digits in your final answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just call it 425Hz, or if you really want 430Hz. I don't think anyone will really care too much about it!

i got no problem with that but they are marking on the correct significant digits. so you just can't but whatever you want.

john merrick said:
i got no problem with that but they are marking on the correct significant digits. so you just can't but whatever you want.
I think most likely you are supposed to start w/ the assumption that the 400 implies 400.0, but I could be wrong. If that's not the case, then all bets are off since you have no way of knowing whether either of the 0's in the 400 are significant or not.

I feel it's a bit harsh to deduct points for incorrect significant figures, considering they don't tell you anything about the uncertainties in those measurements.

If you take it at face value, then I guess you just have to assume that ##f_0 = (400 \pm 1) \text{Hz}## and ##v = (20 \pm 1) \mathrm{ms^{-1}}##. What was the error on the value you used for the speed of sound?

Propagate those through quickly, and check what the error on ##f## is, and print a suitable number of significant figures.

1. Why is it important to have significant digits in scientific calculations?

Significant digits help to convey the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation. They indicate the level of uncertainty in the value and allow for proper comparison and interpretation of data.

2. What does it mean when the answer has only 1 significant digit?

Having only 1 significant digit in the answer means that the measurement or calculation is only accurate to the tenths place. This can occur when there is a limited amount of data or when the measurement instrument has a limited level of precision.

3. Can a calculation with 1 significant digit be considered reliable?

It depends on the context and purpose of the calculation. If the calculation is based on a small amount of data or has a high level of uncertainty, then it may not be considered reliable. However, if the calculation is meant to give a general estimate or is based on a large amount of data, then it may still be considered reliable despite having only 1 significant digit.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of a calculation with only 1 significant digit?

To improve the accuracy of a calculation with only 1 significant digit, you can increase the amount of data used or use a more precise measurement instrument. Additionally, rounding the answer to the correct number of significant digits can also improve the accuracy.

5. Is it possible for a calculation with 1 significant digit to have a result that doesn't make sense?

Yes, it is possible for a calculation with 1 significant digit to have a result that doesn't make sense. This can occur if there are errors in the data or if the calculation is not appropriate for the given situation. It is important to carefully consider the context and assumptions of the calculation to ensure that the result makes sense.