General solution of trig functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution to the equation cos3θ = sin2θ by using the identity sinθ = cos(π/2 - θ). The conversation shows the steps taken to solve the equation and ultimately reaches the solution θ = π/10(4n+1) or θ = π/2(4n-1), which is in agreement with the textbook.
BOAS
Hello,

Homework Statement

find the general solution to cos3θ = sin2θ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that sinθ = cos(π/2 - θ) but I am unsure of how to apply this when I have sin2θ.

Do I say that sin2θ = cos2(π/2 - θ)?

I think not because when I do this my answer does not agree with what my book says.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought i'd resolved my problem, but it still does not agree with the book.

sinθ = cos(π/2 - θ)

sin2θ = cos(π/2 - 2θ)

cos3θ = cos(π/2 - 2θ)

3θ = nπ +/- π/2 - 2θ

θ = (nπ +/- π/2 - 2θ)/3

I feel like a crazy person talking to myself, but just to save anyone the trouble of replying, I have figured it out.

3θ = nπ +/- π/2 - 2θ

either 3θ = nπ - π/2 - 2θ

or

3θ = nπ + π/2 - 2θ

It works out that θ = π/10(4n+1)

or

θ = π/2(4n-1)

Which is precisely what I wanted :)

Perhaps a mod can delete this thread.

BOAS said:
I feel like a crazy person talking to myself, but just to save anyone the trouble of replying, I have figured it out.

3θ = nπ +/- π/2 - 2θ

either 3θ = nπ - π/2 - 2θ

or

3θ = nπ + π/2 - 2θ

It works out that θ = π/10(4n+1)

or

θ = π/2(4n-1)

Which is precisely what I wanted :)

Perhaps a mod can delete this thread.

I hope a moderator does not delete this thread, because you have certainly not found the general solution.

Applying ##\sin(\phi) = \cos(\pi/2 \: - \: \phi)## to ##\phi = 2 \theta##, we have
[tex] \sin(2 \theta) = \cos\left( \frac{\pi}{2} - 2 \theta \right)[/tex]
for what it's worth (which is not much in this problem).

Ray Vickson said:
I hope a moderator does not delete this thread, because you have certainly not found the general solution.

Applying ##\sin(\phi) = \cos(\pi/2 \: - \: \phi)## to ##\phi = 2 \theta##, we have
[tex] \sin(2 \theta) = \cos\left( \frac{\pi}{2} - 2 \theta \right)[/tex]
for what it's worth (which is not much in this problem).

My answer agrees with the textbook... Is what I've done not what you'd call the general solution to the original equation, or are you saying I have made a mistake?

Thanks.

BOAS said:
My answer agrees with the textbook... Is what I've done not what you'd call the general solution to the original equation, or are you saying I have made a mistake?

Thanks.

No, I'm saying I made a dumb mistake, and your solution is OK. Sorry.

What is the general solution of a trig function?

The general solution of a trig function is a formula that can be used to solve for all possible solutions of the function. It takes into account the periodic nature of trigonometric functions and includes the use of a variable, usually denoted by "n", to represent the different solutions.

How do you find the general solution of a trig function?

To find the general solution of a trig function, you first need to set the function equal to a variable, usually denoted by "x". Then, use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Next, use inverse trigonometric functions and the appropriate restrictions to solve for the variable. Finally, add "2πn" to the solution, where "n" is an integer, to account for all possible solutions.

Why is the general solution of a trig function important?

The general solution of a trig function is important because it allows us to find all possible solutions of the function, not just one specific solution. This is especially useful in real-world applications where multiple solutions may be needed, such as in physics or engineering problems.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution of a trig function?

A general solution of a trig function includes all possible solutions, represented by a variable and an integer, while a particular solution is a specific value that satisfies the given equation. A general solution provides a formula that can be used to find all possible solutions, while a particular solution is a single value that satisfies the equation.

Can the general solution of a trig function have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, the general solution of a trig function can have an infinite number of solutions. This is due to the periodic nature of trigonometric functions, which means that the function repeats itself indefinitely. As a result, there are an infinite number of values that can satisfy the equation.