Partial derivatives, change of variable

In summary, the difficulty in differentiation is because of our ignorance of f(u). However, this problem is really no problem at all. For suppose, to bring light on the thing being missed, f(u) is something as simple as sin(u). Carry out derivatives if f(u) is beknown to the audience. Certainly that task will acquire no hardships other than the tedious chore of algebra.
iAlexN
Given [tex]V=xf(u)[/tex] and [tex] u = \frac{y}{x}[/tex] How do you show that:

[tex] x^2 \frac{\partial^2V}{\partial x^2} + 2xy\frac{\partial^2V}{\partial x\partial y} + y^2 \frac{\partial^2V}{\partial y^2}= 0 [/tex]

My main problem is that I am not sure how to express V in terms of a total differential, because it is a function of x and f(u). So it depends on a variable and a function, and doesn't x also depend on u and y?

[tex]dV = \frac{\partial V}{\partial x} * dx + \frac{\partial V}{\partial f(u)} * f(u) [/tex]

This total differential doesn't really help much, there must be some other way of writing it down and simplifying it?

So how should you go about solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to go about the problem is to just compute the individual partial derivatives and exhibit their sum as zero. While this is brute force, when in doubt and when no simple principles seem to afford opportunity, the best you can do is just the obvious.

After taking the derivatives it does turn out that the equation is held. Carefully, exercise product rule and I recommend sticking to the variable u to the best of your ability.

Last edited:
sudhirking said:
One way to go about the problem is to just compute the individual partial derivatives and exhibit their sum as zero. While this is brute force, when in doubt and when no simple principles seem to afford opportunity, the best you can do is just the obvious.

After taking the derivatives it does turn out that the equation is held. Carefully, exercise product rule and I recommend sticking to the variable u to the best of your ability.

If I want to take the derivative of V it would look like this:

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(xf(u))[/tex]

But how would you try and evaluate that, because f(u) is some function that depends on x, u=y/x, so you wouldn't get any values out from it? Taking the derivative again, to get the second derivative, it feels like it would just continue to grow bigger with partial derivatives.

I'm clearly missing something?

iAlexN said:
If I want to take the derivative of V it would look like this:

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(xf(u))[/tex]

But how would you try and evaluate that, because f(u) is some function that depends on x, u=y/x,

The difficulty in the differentiation as you noted is there because of our ignorance on f(u)! But this problem is really no problem at all. For suppose, to bring light on the thing being missed, f(u) is something as simple as sin(u). Carry out derivatives if f(u) is beknown to the audience. Certainly that task will acquire no hardships other than the tedious chore of algebra.

When exercising an x partial over the sin(u) it will by virtue of chain rule, be the partial of sin(u) with respect to "u" multiplied by the partial of "u" with respect to variable x (e.g. up to a negative factor something that falls to an inverse square of x and grows conjunctly with y).

The partial of sin(u) with respect to "u" is no mystery (just the cosine). If f(u) is explicitly mentioned than the calculation is trivial. But it is not! So what do we do? The best thing we can do is leave it as a variable.

To summarize, the partial of f(u) with respect to x is the partial of f(u) with respect to "u" multiplied by the partial of "u" with x. We are forced to leave partials of f with "u" just as it is because of our own lack of specification on f, but that is ok!

Think of implicit differentiation. Suppose I had asked you what is the derivative with respect to x of the square of y. Without knowing y your answer would be

d/dx (y^2)= 2ydy/dx

Hopefully this gives you a clue on how to proceed. Note that I am trying my best not to tip over the cup of milk so to say and completely trivialize the experience by giving you the answer. I am in a sense slowly pressing you in the direction of progress.

With the above in mind though I will do the first step and provide of the derivative you had asked:

(Note I had used product rule and chain rule on any partial of f with x)

PS: I will regularly be refreshing this page so my response is not so delayed and we can have a socratic discussion of solving this problem

Attachments

• Eqn11.gif
    Eqn11.gif
    786 bytes · Views: 566
[tex]dV=fdx+xdf[/tex]
[tex]df=\frac{df}{du}du[/tex]
[tex]du=\frac{xdy-ydx}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]df=\frac{df}{du}\frac{xdy-ydx}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]xdf=\frac{df}{du}(dy-udx)[/tex]

sudhirking said:
The difficulty in the differentiation as you noted is there because of our ignorance on f(u)! But this problem is really no problem at all. For suppose, to bring light on the thing being missed, f(u) is something as simple as sin(u). Carry out derivatives if f(u) is beknown to the audience. Certainly that task will acquire no hardships other than the tedious chore of algebra.

When exercising an x partial over the sin(u) it will by virtue of chain rule, be the partial of sin(u) with respect to "u" multiplied by the partial of "u" with respect to variable x (e.g. up to a negative factor something that falls to an inverse square of x and grows conjunctly with y).

The partial of sin(u) with respect to "u" is no mystery (just the cosine). If f(u) is explicitly mentioned than the calculation is trivial. But it is not! So what do we do? The best thing we can do is leave it as a variable.

To summarize, the partial of f(u) with respect to x is the partial of f(u) with respect to "u" multiplied by the partial of "u" with x. We are forced to leave partials of f with "u" just as it is because of our own lack of specification on f, but that is ok!

Think of implicit differentiation. Suppose I had asked you what is the derivative with respect to x of the square of y. Without knowing y your answer would be

d/dx (y^2)= 2ydy/dx

Hopefully this gives you a clue on how to proceed. Note that I am trying my best not to tip over the cup of milk so to say and completely trivialize the experience by giving you the answer. I am in a sense slowly pressing you in the direction of progress.

With the above in mind though I will do the first step and provide of the derivative you had asked:

(Note I had used product rule and chain rule on any partial of f with x)

PS: I will regularly be refreshing this page so my response is not so delayed and we can have a socratic discussion of solving this problem

Thanks.

Here's my attempt at taking all the partial derivatives, it doesn't quite cancel in the end though.

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial x} = f(u) - \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} \frac{y}{x} = f(u) - \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} u [/tex] (The same as you got)

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial y} = x \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial y} = x \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}= x \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} x = x^2 \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial^2 y} = x^2 \frac{\partial^2 f(u)}{\partial y \partial u} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x \partial y} = 2x \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} + x^2 \frac{\partial^2 f(u)}{\partial x \partial u} [/tex]

One more.

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial^2 x} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(u) - \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} \frac{y}{x})= \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - [\frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial x \partial u} \frac{y}{x} - \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} \frac{y}{x^2}] = -\frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u}\frac{y}{x^2} - \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial x \partial u} \frac{y}{x} + \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial u} \frac{y}{x^2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial^2 x}= - \frac{\partial f(u)}{\partial x \partial u} \frac{y}{x} [/tex]

But when I try and plug this into the equation the terms don't cancel out, so there must be some mistakes in my working?

You made an algebraic error in evaluating ∂V/∂y.

Chet

FAQ: Partial derivatives, change of variable

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (pronounced "partial") and is often used in multivariable calculus to solve problems involving functions with multiple independent variables.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, while a partial derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. In other words, a partial derivative considers the effect of one variable on a function, while treating all other variables as constants.

3. What is the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is a method for finding the partial derivative of a composition of functions. It states that the partial derivative of a composition of functions is equal to the product of the partial derivatives of each function with respect to their respective variables.

4. How do you change variables in a partial derivative?

To change variables in a partial derivative, you can use the chain rule. This involves substituting the new variable for the original variable in the partial derivative expression, and then multiplying by the derivative of the new variable with respect to the original variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives and change of variable?

Partial derivatives and change of variable are widely used in fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and finance. Some examples of real-world applications include optimizing production processes, predicting stock market trends, determining optimal routes for transportation, and analyzing fluid flow in pipes.